PDA

View Full Version : Frankie Kazarian Interview

Smartmark
04-24-2010, 07:45 AM
Frankie Kazarian is no longer on a suicide mission with his pro-wrestling career.

Now free from the masked "Suicide" character he played for almost 1-1/2 years, Kazarian is flourishing in TNA Wrestling. He won the X Division title in a three-way match against Shannon Moore and Nelson "Homicide" Erazo on last Sunday's "Lockdown" pay-per-view show. And unlike some of his longtime TNA peers, Kazarian has actually benefited from Hulk Hogan and Eric Bischoff taking charge of the company's matchmaking earlier this year.

"I was never nervous in terms of me being very confident about my ability in the ring and what I can do as a performer," Kazarian said last weekend in a telephone interview. "I was a little apprehensive in thinking, 'These guys who came in didn't know who I was other than having watched TNA previously.' The fear of getting lost in the shuffle was there. But I think when (Hogan and Bischoff) came in, they immediately saw who the players are and who they wanted to do stuff with. It's been an exciting, much-needed change."

Kazarian desperately needed change after being cast in late 2008 as Suicide. What was initially designed as a child-friendly gimmick never took hold with TNA's fan base (although the company will be reintroducing the character with another performer). Considering his good looks and speaking ability, it made even less sense to place Kazarian in a role that would have benefited a less-charismatic wrestler or someone more familiar with working in such a costume.

"There was very limited breathing and vision with the mask," Kazarian said. "You're also completely covered from head to toe. From a character standpoint, I basically had to unlearn all I had done over the previous 10 years. It was a complete challenge and really difficult at times.

"My pride in my work and the love of the business kept me going. I could see the light at the end of the tunnel. And at the end of the day, I realized I was a pro wrestler. I am living my dream."

Kazarian, whose real name is Frank Gerdelman, began following that dream in May 1998 after training under the late Killer Kowalski. He worked on the independent circuit for five years before joining TNA in 2003.

After a successful run in the X Division, Kazarian left for World Wrestling Entertainment in 2005. But he quit before the year was out, leading to Kazarian's TNA return in 2006.

Kazarian ditched the Suicide mask in February and is now embroiled in a feud with Douglas Williams over the X Division title. Williams was stripped of the belt at "Lockdown" after volcano-related travel problems left him unable to leave the United Kingdom. Bouts involving solid workers like Kazarian, Williams and Moore are among the highlights on "TNA Impact"

Asked how much he has grown as a performer in recent years, Kazarian said, "I think it's definitely the same as anyone who's been in the business with either WWE or TNA for several years. As a performer, you learn how to work off the feel of the crowd in telling a story. I was guilty like a lot of other guys of doing too much (in a match)."

Kazarian also is appreciative of the support given by his wife, former TNA diva Traci Brooks. The two were married in January.

"Traci and I are best friends," Kazarian said. "I know a lot of guys currently and all throughout the history of wrestling who have had issues because their wife doesn't understand the business and they hate them being gone so much. She understands everything I go through because she has gone through the same things. The travel for both of us makes things tough sometimes, but we have a couple days together during the week that we take advantage of."

Kazarian's next goal is to take advantage of the strong push he is being given by TNA management.

"I want to be the top guy in TNA," said Kazarian, 33. "It would be silly to be at this level and not want to achieve that. Long-term, I really think I'm just scratching the surface of what I can do as a performer. I still haven't hit my peak."

***Source: Wrestleview***

DUKE NUKEM
04-24-2010, 06:40 PM
thanks for the post Mark