PDA

View Full Version : Clegg Hints Towards Conservative Coalition

John
04-26-2010, 06:36 AM
The survey suggests the race for Downing Street is getting even closer as the campaign enters its final full week.

The YouGov poll for The Sun newspaper puts Labour on 28%, the Tories still in the lead on 34%, and the Liberal Democrats on 30%.

It comes as Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg said he would not be willing to prop up Gordon Brown if Labour come third in the election.

"It is just preposterous the idea that if a party comes third in terms of the number of votes, it still has somehow the right to carry on squatting in No 10," he said.

"I think a party which has come third - and so millions of people have decided to abandon them, has lost the election spectacularly - cannot then lay claim to providing the prime minister of this country."

But Mr Brown brushed off his comments with a warning to the Lib Dem leader not to take the voters for granted.

"I wouldn't write anybody off as a candidate and I would certainly not want to assume that the electorate are going to vote in a particular way," he said in a BBC3 interview to be shown on Wednesday.

Meanwhile, Tory leader David Cameron, campaigning in Stockton-on-Tees, dismissed Mr Clegg's assertion that he would not work with Labour if they came third, saying that a vote for the Lib Dems could still let Mr Brown back in.

"What's he going to do if they come second? There would be a real danger you would be stuck with Gordon Brown for another five years," he said.

Labour Home Secretary Alan Johnson, who has been touted as a possible successor to Gordon Brown, suggested Labour would be willing to work with the Lib Dems.

He said he would be willing to discuss proportional representation in Westminster elections - a key Liberal Democrat demand.

But he denied he was "waving a flag" to the Lib Dems that - unlike Mr Brown - he was willing to do a deal on proportional representation.

"The one thing that is going to be absolutely clear as we come out this election is there'll be a very strong focus on our electoral system," he told the BBC1 Politics Show.

"This quite definitely not Alan Johnson waving a flag for anyone.

"This is me saying after the election there will be a debate on proportional representation on the electoral system."