PDA

View Full Version : Apple rival threatens iPhones in US

John
05-13-2010, 05:01 PM
Taiwan's HTC, which builds Google's Nexus One iPhone rival, has outlined five patents it claims are infringed by the Apple products.

The complaint, lodged on Wednesday to the United States International Trade Commission, is the latest counter-blow in a slugging match between the technology giants. Earlier this year, Apple filed its own lawsuit against HTC, detailing 20 patent violations.

However, Jason Mackenzie, vice president of HTC Corporation North America, insisted the legal action was not just tit-for-tat.

He said: "We are taking this action against Apple to protect our intellectual property, our industry partners, and most importantly our customers that use HTC phones.

"HTC believes the industry should be driven by healthy competition and innovation that offer consumers the best, most accessible mobile experiences possible."

His words echoed the battle cry issued by Apple boss Steve Jobs after its own lawsuit against HTC in March.

Mr Jobs said: "We can sit by and watch competitors steal our patented inventions, or we can do something about it. We've decided to do something about it."

But mobile phone expert Ernest Doku, from handset comparison site Omio.com, does not believe consumers should worry too much about the courtroom wrangling - the iPhone will still be on sale for the foreseeable future.

HTC currently has 12 smartphones on sale in the US market, including its flagship Google Android-powered Desire which is considered by technology magazine T3 as "a phone that can take on the iPhone and win".

Kemo
05-14-2010, 02:00 AM
Apple is basically shooting themselves in the foot on all matters concerning their products. From everything I've gathered from information I've read, HTC and the Droid phones are way more superior in every way to the iPhones. I was wanting one for the longest time, but now I'm setting my sights on the Droids. Expect to see more innovations with the Droids.

Right now, HTC's biggest flaw is using Windows Mobile on some of their phones. My biggest gripe with my HTC Tilt is Windows.

Kemo
05-14-2010, 02:00 AM
Apple is basically shooting themselves in the foot on all matters concerning their products. From everything I've gathered from information I've read, HTC and the Droid phones are way more superior in every way to the iPhones. I was wanting one for the longest time, but now I'm setting my sights on the Droids. Expect to see more innovations with the Droids.

Right now, HTC's biggest flaw is using Windows Mobile on some of their phones. My biggest gripe with my HTC Tilt is Windows.