PDA

View Full Version : School Coach Crash Kills Three

Black Widow
05-25-2010, 05:49 PM
THE devastated parents of one of the teenage victims of the Keswick bus crash lost their other child when he died in his sleep from a rare illness.

Chloe Walker was killed on her 16th birthday when the bus taking pupils home from Keswick School was involved in a head-on smash yesterday.

Chloe's brother Jordan died three years ago aged 15 after eight years battling a degenerative brain disease.

When she was younger Chloe wrote to Santa saying she didn't want any Christmas presents - she just wanted her brother to get better.

After Jordan died his parents John, 58, and Sharon, 46, of Frizington, Cumbria, said: "We've had some fantastic times with him and he will be missed terribly. He has given us that much love and affection."

Fellow pupil Kieran Goulding, 15, from Whitehaven, also died in the crash.

Others were trapped and had to be rescued as a makeshift field hospital was set up. One shaking teenager, who escaped with a black eye, said: "It was horrible.

"There were people flying all over the bus."

Fleets of helicopters airlifted the injured to hospitals from the smash in Braithwaite, Cumbria.

Nine children remained in hospital today, two in a serious but stable condition.

A witness told of hearing "a massive crash and bang, followed by cries and screams" after the bus collided with a grey Honda Civic, whose driver also died.

He has been named locally as Patrick Short, chairman of Cumbria Rural Choirs.

The driver of a SECOND school bus close behind slammed on his brakes - narrowly avoiding a pile-up. The 49-seat coach that skidded on to its side was on the daily 13-mile school run taking home secondary pupils aged 11 to 18.

It had already dropped some off after leaving 1,000-pupil Keswick School en route to Cockermouth. But more than 30 were still on board.

Frantic parents, some in tears, rushed to the field hospital.

It was set up at Braithwaite Primary School, near the crash on the Lake District's busy single-carriageway A66. Mum Helen Davies had just picked up her children from there when the crash happened.

Husband Gareth, 44, said: "The coach flipped over on its side and there was masses of smoke. She said the scene was horrendous."

Three air ambulance helicopters dashed to the horror along with two RAF choppers.

Paramedics, police and firemen were joined at the scene by three mountain rescue teams. A 999 spokesman said: "Serious casualties were airlifted to hospitals in Middlesbrough, Newcastle and Preston.

"Injuries ranged from minor cuts to fractures to spinal injuries." Coach driver Dave Ratcliffe - employed by local contractor JB Pickthall, of Frizington - escaped with a broken arm.

His wife Elizabeth said: "All I know is that he is OK."

Police confirmed the man at the wheel of the Honda died. Among the most badly hurt pupils was a girl of 13 - thrown from the bus as it toppled. She was airlifted to hospital in Newcastle with serious arm and shoulder injuries.

A boy of 15 was also helicoptered to casualty. He had serious chest, back and pelvis injuries.

A girl pupil in Keswick School's sixth form said: "I can't stop crying. From what I've heard it was the younger ones who were more seriously injured."

Kids being given first aid were taken drinks, sandwiches and blankets by villagers. Dorothy Roper, 78 - whose grandaughter Grace got off the bus just before it crashed - described the car as "completely mangled".

She said: "Kids were by the side of the road with horrific injuries. The emergency services were trying to get the trapped children out.

"I haven't been able to get hold of my grandaughter but I know she is OK."

Bill Barnes, who raced to the crash with his wife, paid tribute to the "amazing" bravery of pupils.

He said: "One was inspiring in the way he coped with the immense pain he was in. He even inquired after the driver.

"We were able to reassure both him and his sister, who was also on the bus, that each other was OK."

Keswick School's headmaster Mike Chapman said staff and pupils had been left "shocked and dismayed" by the acccident.

He said: "We have lost two of our own in Kieron and Chloe.

"We're all praying for our students who remain critically ill and all of those who suffered both psychologically and emotionally."

The school is set to open today with support provided for students.

"We have a very large number of distressed children, we have a very large number of distressed staff, some of whom were down at the scene yesterday afternoon. We are all going to pull together today," he added.

"The children as ever were surrounded by their friends and people who wished to help and that is how it will be today."

The Sun