PDA

View Full Version : Derrick Bird's Family 'Utterly Devastated'

John
06-06-2010, 06:04 PM
A statement from Graeme and Jamie Bird has been read by Rev Jim Marshall at Lamplugh Church.

They said they have no idea what caused him to go on a shooting spree in Cumbria and kill 12 people.

They added: "We don't know why our dad committed these horrific crimes.

"We are both mortified by the sad events.

"Dad was a loving, cheerful character and was well-known throughout the whole community."

The Rev Jim Marshall said the family would apologise to the families of the victims "if they had the strength".

He added that Bird was "not the person they saw on Wednesday".

"For 52 years they see one man, for several hours they heard about another," the Rev Marshall said.

He said Bird's mother knew everything that he had done that Wednesday but found out about her son's rampage when she switched on the TV.

"She was horrified, she was astounded," Mr Marshall said.

"She was just stunned and still can't take it in.

"That is the last time she watched the television.

"She doesn't want to turn the TV on now."

The Rev Marshall read a statement on behalf of Brian Bird, the only surviving brother of Derrick Bird.

He said: "My family and I are extremely saddened by the events on Wednesday. The loss of both my brothers is devastating. They were both very caring, family people. They were well-known and respected in their local communities.

"My family and I are saddened at the loss of life and woundings and can only offer our condolences to the families concerned.

"We appreciate what they are suffering at this time. We cannot offer any reason why Derrick took it upon himself to commit these crimes.

"We are in shock and dismay.

"We would ask that we are allowed some privacy to mourn our loss."