PDA

View Full Version : Communities move on after massacre

John
06-07-2010, 07:21 AM
As shell-shocked mourners gathered for events on Sunday in Seascale and Whitehaven, where the gunman claimed the lives of some of his 12 victims, his sons said they were "mortified" by his chilling frenzy.

It emerged that other family members feared they would also be killed after learning of his rampage.

Bird's elderly mother Mary was at her home in Ennerdale with her eldest son Brian and his wife Susan when she heard on the lunchtime news that he had killed his twin brother David and was gunning down other victims. Fearing they would be targeted too, her daughter-in-law went around the house locking the doors.

Bird's sons Graeme and Jamie on Sunday issued a statement read by family friend Rev Jim Marshall which said: "We are utterly devastated about the death of our father Derrick Bird. To us, he was the nicest man you could ever meet. We would like to say that we do not know why our dad committed these horrific crimes. We are both mortified by these sad events."

Rev Marshall, the curate of St Michael's Church in Lamplugh, said Bird's family would apologise to relatives of his victims "if they had the strength".

He also read a statement from Brian Bird that said: "The loss of both my brothers is devastating. They were both very caring family people. My family and I are saddened at the loss of life and woundings and can only offer our condolences to the families concerned.

"We appreciate what they are suffering at this time. We cannot offer any reason why Derrick took it upon himself to commit these crimes."

Details of funerals for Bird and his victims are still not clear. Rev Marshall said the family had at one stage considered a joint funeral for the twins - but this is now not going to happen.

"I think that might have been the family wanting to get the whole thing over with in one go. There was talk about the idea of, you know, they came in the world together and out they'll go together," he said.