PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Edition 2.7 with KDE SC, XFCE and LXDE And a Conky configuration script

OMEN
06-09-2010, 09:15 PM
http://imagevader.com/out.php?i=140379_cisco-storage.jpg

Ultimate Edition 2.7 is already here, just one month after the previous release. The short development cycle is due to the fact that Ultimate Edition (UE) 2.7 is pretty much a polished version of Ultimate Edition 2.6. However, it comes with a lot more choices in desktop environments on top of the GNOME option. Fans of KDE, XFCE or LXDE will enjoy having the choice to use their favorite tools and applications.

“Ultimate Edition [2.7] was built off Ultimate Edition 2.6 (Ubuntu Lucid Lynx 10.04). Major difference being that it has been fully updated / upgraded and has the following environments, user selectable at the login screen: KDE, XFCE, Gnome, LXDE, Openbox... I have said in the past, I am not a KDE man it looks too much like that ‘Other O/S.’ I will return to Ultimate Edition 2.6. That does not mean our users are not interested in exploring / using these environments,” Glenn Cady wrote in the official announcement. (http://ultimateedition.info/ultimate-edition/ultimate-edition-2-7)

The upgrade to Ubuntu 10.04 as the underlying distro has been completed and all packages should be on par. Other than that, everything included in UE 2.6 is also available in the latest release. Users now also have the option to create a customized install of the Conky lightweight system monitor.

“I have included a Conky script I wrote that will generate as per each computer... This script will be in your home folder when installed (your choice to run it or not). The script is commented if you wish to learn,” Cady added.

About Ultimate Edition

Created by TheeMahn, Ultimate Edition is a Linux distribution based on the popular Ubuntu operating system. It comes bundled with a lot more apps and tools than Ubuntu and it also has a very unique and somewhat over-the-top visual style. Ultimate Edition was previously known as Ubuntu Ultimate, but started life as Ubuntu Christmas Edition. There is also a specialized version, the Ultimate Edition Gamers, which includes all the applications from the Ultimate Edition and many Linux games.

Softpedia.