PDA

View Full Version : Fabio Capello settled on England team

lɐuǝɯo⊥ǝɥԀ
06-11-2010, 08:19 AM
Fabio Capello says he has decided on his starting XI for England's 2010 World Cup opener against the United States in Rustenburg on Saturday.

Much speculation has surrounded his selection, with an ankle injury to midfielder Gareth Barry prompting a reshuffle to Capello's plans.

It is also unclear who the Italian will pick in goal, with David James, Rob Green and Joe Hart vying to start.
But Capello said: "I know my keeper and I know my XI to start against the US."

He added, possibly referring to Barry's recovery: "After the first game, I hope every player in my squad will be fit and ready to play."

Capello is desperate for his squad to come through the match against the US unscathed, especially having already lost skipper Rio Ferdinand to a knee ligament injury sustained during training last week.

But the Italian insists he is relaxed as England approach their tournament opener on Saturday.

"I can understand the pressure because in every moment we walk around you can see the security, the journalists, you can see when you move to golf, to safari, you need to police a lot of this," he told BBC Radio 5 live.

"I understand that this is a really, really important moment for the country, but I am relaxed."
And Capello believes his England side can impress in South Africa having "improved a lot" during his time in charge, a spell that has so far yielded 18 wins in 24 matches.

"Yes, the team has improved a lot," he said. "We found a spirit, different systems to play during games and a lot of players know me better. I think everything is different for us now."

In Ferdinand's absence, Capello's captain on the field will be Liverpool midfielder Steven Gerrard, who is expected to partner Frank Lampard in the centre of midfield with Barry unavailable.

James Milner could also miss out as he struggles to shake off a virus, while some reports suggest goalkeeper James is carrying a knee injury.

Gerrard stresses need for England discipline

But Liverpool captain Gerrard has insisted that leading the national side will not adversely affect his own game, saying: "I won't change my style of captaincy or the way I play.

"I'm in this position because managers see I'm a good captain - how I am about the place as well as what I do on the pitch. I feel like I have the respect of the players and they know I'm here for them if they need it.

"I'm going to use the captaincy as a positive because I have a fantastic team around me - Stuart Pearce, who has been there and done it, David Beckham, Rio Ferdinand is still here, I have John Terry - a captain - alongside me on the pitch… this is a team and a squad full of leaders."

And the 30-year-old admits he has allowed himself a thought as to what it would be like to lead England all the way in South Africa.

"To lift the trophy as captain of England… it's the stuff dreams are made of," he said.

"All the players are aware of what's happening back home, the excitement that's building, and we know everyone is behind us.

"The days are getting longer because we're all so desperate to get started and so desperate to win. It's time for the players to deliver."

BBC SPORT