PDA

View Full Version : Chris Sabin Thinking Gold Heading Into Victory Road

Black Widow
07-10-2010, 11:36 AM
When he started working for TNA Wrestling seven years ago, Chris Sabin envisioned himself as a singles wrestler as most guys do. He had already been doing that for various independent promotions and then excelled in TNA's X Division, winning that championship four times.

But things took a different turn for him in 2007 when he began pairing up with Alex Shelley as a tag-team. The duo is still together as the Motor City Machineguns and have become one of the most dynamic teams in all of wrestling.

Despite all their success, there is one thing they haven't done yet: win the TNA Tag Team Championship. Sabin along with his partner will get that chance on Sunday night at the Victory Road pay-per-view (8PM ET/5PM PT) when they face Beer Money for the titles.

This past Tuesday on my Between The Ropes radio show, Sabin talked about the upcoming match, his long run with TNA, teaming with his good friend, rumors of Paul Heyman possibly joining the company and more.

Brian Fritz: Do you still get excited for pay-per-view matches?
Chris Sabin: Oh yeah, definitely, especially on the pay-per-views because we always have a lot more time to express ourselves in the ring. We always get a lot more time on pay-per-views than TV. I always look forward to pay-per-views if I have a match.

When you getting ready for a TV match and you have three minutes do you ever go 'can we find two more minutes for me somewhere'?
(laughs) I don't. I'm not really a complainer. Whatever situation or scenario I'm given, I try to make the best out of it that I can.

Wait a second, this is the wrestling business. I thought everybody complained.
Yeah and rightfully so. I'm more of a laid back, easy going guy and I just try to make the best out of any situation and if that situation turns out to be a three minute match, then I'm going to make the best out of it that I can.

You want to be easy to work with but at the same time, there are moments when you have to speak up and protect yourself. How do you judge on when is a good time to speak up or a time when you need to sit back and keep your mouth shut?
Well, there are certain times, you know, honestly, you just gotta go with your gut instinct. If something feels right, then there must be a reason it feels right. At the same time, you have to be aware of your thoughts and aware of your actions and be ready to accept the consequences of your actions if you choose to pursue that path. I think that you just gotta really sit down before and not be too quick to judge or quick to make a decision. Sit back for a minute and think about it and really take into account what matters in life.

When was the last time you said something off the cuff without thinking about it that got you in trouble?
(pause) Honestly, I haven't been in trouble in a long time that I know of. I haven't been in trouble in a very, very long time. I hope it continues to stay that way. I've always tried to stay positive. I always think of the positives in everything so I don't really focus too much on the negatives. I can't really remember the last time I got in trouble and I hope it continues that way.

Do you know that you've been with TNA now for seven years?
Seven years, yeah. I'm lucky man. Wrestling has been my dream since I was a little kid. I've been able to make a living off wrestling almost since I've gotten into wrestling so I've been very lucky in that aspect.

All together, you've been in wrestling now for ten years right?
Yeah.

Did you do anything for your ten year anniversary?
You know, I didn't. I guess maybe I should have done something to celebrate. You know, I made it ten years through the wrestling business and I know not a lot of people can say that. I do feel lucky. I'm happy, I'm fortunate so that's enough of a party for me I guess.

You've been a part of the Motor City Machineguns for the better part of three years now teaming with Alex Shelley. Is he your best friend?
As far as wrestling goes. We didn't meet each other until we got in the wrestling business. Me and him are around each other so much that you can't help but be good friends.

How much more does that help knowing that you team with him?
It works out well because in translates in the ring. If you trust someone with your body inside the ring, that's the biggest thing to consider. And our wrestling abilities are on par with each other. We just work so well together in the ring. It's like magic when we get in there as a tag-team.

Did you guys click from the get-go when you got paired together?
Yeah. The entire reason why we started teaming together was that we got booked in a tag-team match while we were over doing a tour for ZERO-1 MAX and we wrestled Hidaka and Fujita. We went out there and we kind of like through our minds together, got a couple moves together and everything flowed really well. We just worked well. So we were like let's try this out. If it seems to work as well as it looks like in just this one match, let's try and get a tag-team together.

Did you bring it up to TNA the idea that you would like to be put together?
Yeah, we brought it up as an idea. They kind of felt it out for a little bit and it didn't happen right away. Then it kinda got steered in that direction. Obviously they would have to see us and realize they want to invest in us as a tag-team. It's their decision and they seem to be receptive to it.

What has this ride been like for you guys as a team because there have been some ups and downs including Sunday vying for the Tag-Team Titles against Beer Money?
It's been a wild ride really. Alex and I have never won the Tag Team Titles. We've been a tag-team for about four years now and this is a pretty big moment for us. Hopefully, the stars are in line for us is a good analogy to use. Maybe this is our moment, maybe this is our time. If it is, hopefully we'll finally win those tag titles.

Will you take any beer to the ring to distract your opponents?
Well, I was thinking about making this little contraption. It's like a plunger with a bottle of beer hanging out the end of it and just sticking it on James Storm's forehead. That would seem to distract him a little bit.

Between that or taking his belt holster that holds his beers.
Yeah or maybe I'll just throw a stick in the spokes of his water beer cooler ride.

How ridiculous are some of those things he has? He's got that holster that can hold like six beers around his waist?
(laughs) The guy's an alcoholic right? Everything about his wrestling persona is about beer. Obviously he loves beer and I'm sure he loves beer outside the ring as much as he does inside the ring or he wouldn't be so in to beer. We just gotta use that to our advantage then.

When you talk about James and Robert (Roode), those are two guys that have really made a name for themselves in TNA. They are younger guys like you and Alex. What has it been like between all of you coming up through the ranks together in TNA?
It's been real cool. As far as James goes, he started with TNA before I did. He was actually there when I first started. I remember I did some stuff with America's Most Wanted when I first started and James was always cool with me. I'm glad to see that he's around. Me and him work well together. We've had some singles matches that have come off real good. I'm happy to be in this moment and ready for this pay-per-view against James. As far as Bobby goes, he actually came up in Toronto in the whole Ontario area. I came up in Michigan – Detroit – and I trained in Canada so I did a lot of shows there. So, our paths have crosses many times before either one of us were in TNA. We've known each other for a long time and we get along also and I'm happy to see Bobby here too. I've got my partner Alex with me and hopefully all four of us can create something special on Sunday night.

There have been a lot of different changes in TNA over the years since you've been there. Lately, the name Paul Heyman has been thrown around as to whether or not he might come in. We know the company has been talking with him. What are your thoughts about Paul Heyman and would you like to see him join the company?
Well, I've never met the guy so I don't know anything about him. I don't know what kind of person he is or what kind of guy he is. I've heard nothing but good things about him. I would love to work with him because I remember in high school when I first saw ECW on one of these old Detroit stations. Seeing ECW the first time, I was like ... it instantly clicked. I was hooked. This is something different. This isn't the kind of wrestling I'm used to. As soon as I saw it, I was trying to get more information about ECW, see when else it was on. I would go see them live when they came to Detroit a couple of times. Man, I would love to work with him just because I dig his style. The whole ECW style was really cool and I think that might help TNA.

How much did ECW help pattern you in becoming the wrestler that you are?
For myself, it helped a lot. ECW and also the WCW Cruiserweight division were big inspirations for me during high school because I wanted to be a wrestler my whole life. I got to that point in high school where there's pressure from counselors and parents like 'what are you going to do for college, do you want to go for college'. My answer was no, I just want to be a pro wrestler. That's all I want to do. You can't be a pro wrestler, those guys are all big and everything. My answer would be they got the WCW cruiserweights, some of the guys in ECW are smaller and they have a unique style that stands out. So I knew that was something I had to do was evolve a different kind of style and present that because I'm not the biggest guy in the world but I can hold my own in the ring.

Brian Fritz hosts the Between The Ropes radio show which can be heard Tuesday nights from 6:00-8:00P ET on ESPN Radio 1080 in Orlando, FL.

FH

DUKE NUKEM
07-10-2010, 03:40 PM
thanks for the post Ryan

W-OLF
07-10-2010, 03:45 PM
Thanks Ryan.