PDA

View Full Version : England job would be poison

Black Widow
07-17-2010, 11:36 AM
ALEX FERGUSON believes the England manager's job is "a poisoned chalice" - which is why he has turned it down TWICE.

Fabio Capello is the latest Three Lions chief to face a barrage of criticism after yet another poor showing in a major tournament.

And Manchester United boss Ferguson said: "I've been asked to manage the England team on a couple of occasions but, of course, it's out of the question.

"It's a poisoned chalice anyway - it's a terrible job.

"Plus I've a tremendous handicap being Scottish. Any way you look at it, that's important."

The Old Trafford boss also hit out at the expectation on the shoulders of star striker Wayne Rooney, who flopped for England at the the World Cup in South Africa.

Asked if the pressure was too great on the 24-year-old, Fergie said: "I would have said that's the case. The expectation on Rooney was that this was going to be his tournament.

"But remember, Wayne has not had any great experience of World Cup football.

"World Cup football comes along every four years and for a lot of players it's a once in a lifetime thing.

"Wayne will have other opportunities and he'll be better because of experience."

Ferguson also admitted United defender Patrice Evra was WRONG to be part of a France team that went on strike.

Les Bleus refused to train in a dispute over Chelsea striker Nicolas Anelka being sent home from South Africa for abusing coach Raymond Domenech.

Boss Fergie said: "I've spoken to him. They made a decision, which I think they all regret now, in not training.

"It was a terrible decision. It wasn't an individual decision, it was a collective one which, as captain, he took to the coach.

"And because of that, the rebound effect has been very much on Patrice's shoulders."

Fergie also jumped to the defence of Premier League ref Howard Webb, who was heavily criticised for his handling of the physical World Cup final between Holland and Spain.

He said: "Howard Webb was given an impossible task with the behaviour of the players.

"They got to the stage in the first half where a red card may have put him under pressure, criticism wise.

"The public don't want to see a player sent off in the World Cup final but he was left in the position of continual fouling and there was no way out for him."

Last night, Trevor Brooking revealed the FA hope the next Three Lions manager will be an Englishman. The FA's director of football development said: "I think longer term, after Fabio, we'd like to go English.

"We want to appoint English coaches and Fabio can help us enormously to bridge that gap and help that transition."

Brooking was a member of the FA group that opted to keep Capello when his future was in doubt after the World Cup flop.

The West Ham legend added: "We were all stunned at how poor we were. Fabio was hugely disappointed but wanted to do better and help rebuild."

The Sun