PDA

View Full Version : Boxing Champ Wants to Fight Brock Lesnar

The Mac
07-21-2010, 05:07 AM
After opening the door to James Toney, the UFC better get used to other boxers trying to wedge their way into the octagon.

The newest name on the list? Australian boxer and IBO cruiserweight champ Danny Green, who claims he wants to face Brock Lesnar next February, when the UFC likely returns to his home country. The cruiserweight division, for those of you who don't follow boxing, goes up to 200 pounds. According to BoxRec.com, Green weighed in at 184.75 for his last fight, meaning he'd give up around 80 pounds in the hypothetical matchup against the UFC heavyweight champion that will never, ever, in a million years happen.

Of course, there's a huge caveat to Green's interest anyway: He wants to fight under amended rules.

"It would have to be a stand-up fight," Green told The Daily Telegraph, Sydney's largest newspaper. "There's no way I could compete with Lesnar on the ground."

He may want to reconsider that statement. While no one would suggest Lesnar could hang with Green in a straight-up boxing match, even a "stand-up" match, as Green suggested, would put him at a serious disadvantage. Does he think he'd be able to keep Lesnar -- a former collegiate wrestling champ -- from bull-rushing him into the cage and savaging him with elbows to the head and knees to the body? What about throwing kicks into the equation?

Still, Green, who most famously defeated boxing legend Roy Jones Jr. via first-round KO last Dec., claims he's spoken with his management team about getting in touch with UFC president Dana White to set up the match. They should save their time. No athletic commission would sanction such a fight, and the UFC would have no interest in it anyway, since White himself has characterized the upcoming Toney-Randy Couture fight as a one-time "freak show," even though it will be contested under unified MMA rules.

For what it's worth, The Ring magazine ranks Green as the No. 7 cruiserweight in the world. Most likely, the statement is something of a publicity stunt, as Green is scheduled to defend his boxing title against Paul Briggs tonight in Sydney.

Meanwhile, Lesnar's next octagon date was recently locked up. He'll face Cain Velasquez at UFC 121 in October, and should he win, he'll have the Junior Dos Santos-Roy Nelson winner waiting in the wings.

Konan
07-21-2010, 08:58 AM
thast would be awesome .. nice to watch it

The Mac
07-21-2010, 09:09 AM
brock would kill him

A Blissful Ass
07-23-2010, 04:15 PM
DANNY Green wants to take down the baddest man on the planet - and do it bareknuckle.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal that Green, who tonight defends his IBO cruiserweight title against Paul Briggs, is trying to organise a fight with UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar, the American bad boy who weighs 120kg and benches 220kg.

Green said the bout, which would be a stand-up confrontation, could be held as early as February when the UFC returns to Sydney.

"Would I like to fight Brock Lesnar? Absolutely," Green confirmed after yesterday's weigh-in.

"Obviously my only focus right now is Paul Briggs but I'm professional enough to also have one eye on the future and to fight the baddest man on the planet, yeah, that excites me.

"I've spoken to my management team about getting in touch with [UFC president] Dana White to see if it's possible. It would have to be a stand up fight. There's no way I could compete with Lesnar on the ground.

"The bloke outweighs me by plenty and was a champion college wrestler. But to stand inside a steel cage and be able to use fists and elbows ... I'd fight bareknuckle if that's what it takes to get him inside a steel cage."

Having needed just 11 rounds to destroy his past four opponents, including Roy Jones Jr, Green's reputation as Australia's hardest puncher will be further cemented if he can score another convincing win against Briggs in Perth tonight.

And while he concedes a fight with Lesnar, who stands 6cm taller and outweighs him by almost 40kg, would be "like David versus Goliath", Green said the bout would be a popular one among Australian sports fans.

"I imagine we'd sell out any Sydney venue," he said.

While Green remains wary of Briggs, it's understood his manager Justin Manolikos has already drawn up a hit list of possible international rivals, including Lesnar, American heavyweight James Toney and New Zealand warrior Shane Cameron - with Cameron pushing to fight Green before Christmas on the advice of boxing legend Barry Michael.

Michael has been working extensively with the Aucklander and yesterday confirmed he was responsible for his sudden step down in weight to fight Australian cruiserweight champion Daniel Ammann on tonight's undercard.

"It was my idea because I think Shane can really challenge Green at cruiserweight - make it a huge trans-Tasman battle," Michael said. "He's already lost 13kg and I think he'll do a job on Daniel.

"I've already been over to New Zealand a couple of times to help him out where I can."

The Daily Telegraph