"Dirt Dawg" Jeremy Leary

Interview / Profile Questions

Height: 5'10

Weight 220 lbs

Hometown: Southwick, Mass

Trained by: Kevin Landry, Antonio Thomas, Billy King, Aaron Morrison

Years as a Pro: 2 ½ years

Promotions DPW, T3WP, BTW, UWD, NEPW, EWA, NCW,

Q: When did you become a wrestling fan and how?

JL: One Saturday morning our home TV was just left on a channel, and wrestling was on. I was drawn to it right away, I was about 5 years old, almost 6. I remember it was Owen Hart wrestling.

Q: Where did you grow up?

JL: I grew up in Southwick, Mass. It's the little bump on the bottom of Mass that dips into CT.

Q: Who were your favorites growing up?

JL: When I was real little, I remember being so intrigued by The Giant Gonzalez (bash away) I knew nothing about wrestling, but I was just in awe of how huge this guy was. My favorites however were Razor Ramon and Bret Hart. I also loved the Tatanka and Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat. My favorites of all time are Edge, Finlay, Bret Hart, Ric Flair and Ricky Steamboat.

Q: Did you attend wrestling shows when you were a kid?

JL: My late father brought me to my first show at the Springfield Civic center. I don't remember how old I was exactly, but it was around the time when Lex Luger was "Made in America" and I remember being in awe seeing Earthquake in person.

Q: What is your favorite wrestling match?

JL: Razor Ramon vs. Shawn Michaels at Mania 10. That first Ladder Match. I didn't think Razor was gonna win, and you can imagine my excitement as a fan when he pulled it off.

Q: What is your favorite event?

JL: As a fan it's the Royal Rumble. It's always exciting and I'm always hoping that someone will surprise me and win it, and not one of the guys you expect to win. That's why it was great when Mysterio won it.

As a worker, I love doing any show for DPW. The atmosphere there is/was great. Everybody in the back treats each other like people. Everyone got along; everybody was good to one another. I also dig how DPW is edgier. Mike is also a great guy. He's willing to give people chances. It makes me so mad when people shit on him and/or DPW stopping again. The dude had a fuckin heart attack and (I believe) multiple surgeries and he was, and from what I understand still is trying to find another home for DPW.

Q: First impressions of the business when you were training?

JL: I thought I would start training and within a month or two I'd be doing superplexes and what not. Boy was I wrong. It's so important to be able to do all the basic so well, because the safety of the person you're in the ring with is in YOUR hands. That's a lot to handle, and it's far more important to be safe than to try to make yourself look awesome.

Also, I was pretty much clueless about wrestling psychology. I still have TONS to learn about it. Telling a story in the ring is so important. Because while the cat seems to be out of the bag about Pro Wrestling being a work, it's still the goal, for the most part, to make it look like a real fight.

Q: How has life been on the Independent Scene?

JL: It's been great. For the most part. My first couple of shows were for NEPW. The venue they ran at was about 15 minutes from my hometown, so I had a LOT of friends coming to see me wrestle. That gave me a bit of a big head, and I pissed a couple people off by kind of overstepping my boundaries. But, I paid for my mistakes, and I would like to think I've learned from them. And I'm still trying to earn the respect of a worker or two that I pissed off.

Other than that, I have met some great people, had some wonderful and crazy road trips, and made some great friends that I would like to think I would remain friends with if I never wrestled again.

Q: Who are some of the notable names you have wrestled?

JL: I haven't had any matches with any former WWE guys or anything like that, nor do I think I deserve to quite yet. However, I've had the opportunity to wrestle some great guys from the area, such as Aaron Morrison, Johnny Idol, Slyck Wagner Brown, Frankie and Bobby Ocean. My favorite match thus far though was against Malice for DPW. I don't think I've ever told him that though. And I can't wait till I have the opportunity to work guys like Billy King, Antonio Thomas, and Bob Evans. Guys that seem to really have a mind for making matches great.

Q: Johnny Idol is one of the most respect workers in the New England area. What was it like working with him?

JL: A huge learning experience. He taught me a lesson for sure ha ha. What I love about Johnny is that he's so brutally honest. He tells it to you exactly how it is, and when you hear it like that, without any sugar coating, it's a lot easy to learn and grow as a wrestler. I also love how he can make a crowd absolutely HATE him without just going out and yelling "NO, YOU SUCK!" or "SHUT UP!" He gets the crowd to hate him through his wrestling, and that's great.

Q: Do you believe Kayfabe is dead?

JL: No. Not completely. But I wish I was around when it was like a sacred oath.

Q: Any TV/Media appearances:

JL: I was in a local newspaper wrestling against Shockwave for a Big Time Wrestling show in Chicopee, Mass. That's another company that gets shit on so hard, but, that promotion has raised a lot of money for a lot of good causes. Yet, so many people choose to dwell on whatever negative thoughts they have against the company and things like the charities they help end up being forgotten. I've had a great time and was treated very well both times I've worked for them.

Q: What are your future plans?

JL: Well, I got neck deep in a terrible situation with my personal life, none of which I deserved, so I had to disappear from the Wrestling scene from August of '09 until May of this year, while I was never in tip top shape, I let myself get into worse shape because I kind of had to be inactive. So my future plans are to try to get into better shape, and other than that, just keep on learning until I can confidently say that I get it.

Q: Would you like elaborate on the terrible situation that kept you away from the ring?

JL: Lets just say this; I got into some legal trouble for something that I did not do. And I will swear it on my mother’s life. No drugs or stealing or any scummy things like that, but, regardless, my lawyer told me to stay away from Wrestling for a little while. It sucked, so bad. And through it, I've had to deal some of the absolute SHITTIEST people that live on this planet. But, like they say, what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

Q: When and where was your last match and what was the result? My last match I teamed with Jim Nastic and we wrestled the team of Vicious V and Mr Williams in May for UWD. Jim and I lost. But it was a very FUN match. I love it when I get to the back and can really say to myself, "Man, that was fun" And it was great working with all the above, esp Vicious V whom I think is underrated.

Q: When is the next show you are working? Geez, it's kind of tough, because now that UWD is gone there are no promotions that are real steady in Western Massachusetts. There's something in the works for early September, but I can't really say more than that right now. Add me on Facebook. I’ am constantly updating that with info on my wrestling shows and things my band is doing.

AG