PDA

View Full Version : Sheamus On Beaches: 'We stay as far away from each other as possible'

Black Widow
07-29-2010, 07:21 PM
Sheamus ready to rumble in Daytona

One look at the non-tanned Sheamus, you would assume he has never been near a beach -- especially The World's Most Famous Beach.

That will change Saturday, as the World Wrestling Entertainment red-headed champion will headline a card at the Ocean Center.

Sheamus, who will be joined by more familiar names like John Cena, Randy Orton and Chris Jericho, is a huge part of WWE's shift to focus on its young superstars.

The News-Journal talked by phone with current WWE champion Sheamus, who is from Dublin, Ireland.

Are you going to visit the beach?

We stay as far away from each other as possible. I like Daytona for the bikes, the Harleys.

Your WWE debut was June 30, 2009, and here you are already a two-time WWE champion. What does that mean to you, the first Irish-born champion?

It means everything to me. I gave up a lot and sacrificed a lot to come to the U.S. to follow my dream. I was pretty serious as to what I wanted to do. You have to make your own opportunities. I was a little bit surprised at my quick success, but I knew if I got the opportunity I would take it. It's a great honor. It's opened up a lot of peoples' eyes to the product and it has created a big following back home. It's a dream come true.

We know you are 6-foot-6 and 272 pounds. But how big are you in Ireland?

It's incredible -- there is so much going on when we go overseas. WWE is huge -- we go there twice per year.

What does the term "The Celtic Warrior" mean to you?

The stereotypes of an Irishman are a leprechaun and things like that. It's something I want to get away from. I want to drive fear into my opponents, especially with what I've achieved the last year. I want something positive, not something to be laughed at.

Talk a little bit about your wrestling background.

I started wrestling in Ireland in the United Kingdom in 2005. I started training to become a sports entertainer, gaining experience overseas. I moved to Florida Championship Wrestling in 2007. It was a long haul.

As champion, you have a major role in WWE's shift to focus on the young guys -- guys like The Miz and Jack Swagger, and Nexus from the Tuesday NXT rookie television show. What does that mean to you, and how will the young guys change WWE's future?

A lot of guys have been there awhile in FCW, developing the superstars. You've got Wade Barrett, Yoshi Tatsu, Ted DiBiase Jr. who have gone from FCW to WWE. In fact, about 70 to 80 percent of the roster is pretty much from FCW. They give you the road -- it's up to you to follow it.

Who is the bigger threat right now for your title -- Orton (your Summerslam opponent), The Miz (who has a guaranteed title shot) or Nexus (who you have a "truce" with)?

Once you become WWE champion, there's a target on your back. Everyone wants the title. Orton is an extreme threat to me. He's been champion multiple times. I'm better than anyone. I'm the best in the world. There's a payback for The Miz coming. Maybe I'll teach him a lesson in Daytona and put his (guaranteed title shot) suitcase away for good.

Will we ever see a stipulation match where you have to get a tan if you lose or change your red hair color?

I'm very happy with the Irish tan.

What does the future hold for Sheamus?

The future is bright. It's laced with gold. I want to make sure I'm the longest reigning WWE champion. With the truce with Nexus and Cena occupied, there's no one to take me out. I'm here for the long term.

go386