PDA

View Full Version : Marquardt Wants To Prove He Is Better Than Silva And Sonnen

Travicity
08-28-2010, 04:47 AM
UFC middleweight fighter Nate "The Great" Marquardt is scheduled to take on Brazilian submission artist Rousimar Palhares this September 15th at UFC Fight Night: Marquardt vs. Palhares at the Frank Erwin Center in Austin, Texas. Though Marquardt acknowledges that Palhares poses a dangerous threat in their upcoming fight, the Greg Jackson-trained fighter finds his mind wandering as a result of the current action taking place in the UFC's middleweight division; namely the recent Anderson Silva-Chael Sonnen title fight.

"Rousimar is a very tough guy and very dangerous, I respect him. But sometimes it is tough to stay focused on this fight," said Marquardt. "Like you say, watching Chael and Anderson fight… I want to get back in there with both of those guys and show them that I am better than them."

Marquardt, who owns losses to both Sonnen and Silva, lent his analysis to the bout and seemed to be unimpressed by both Sonnen and Silva's respective performances.

"I thought Anderson would be able to use his footwork a little better to avoid the takedowns but I knew that once Chael got hold of him he would be able to get him down," he said. "And once he got on top of him I felt Chael was strong enough to overpower Silva, but at the same time he has been submitted by triangle time and time again. That's one of Andersons favourite submissions, he made a big mistake and it cost him the fight."

Marquardt and Palhares will headline the UFC's 22nd Fight Night event which will be broadcast live via Spike TV. Marquardt owns a professional record of 29-9-2 and most recently appeared in action at UFC 109 in February where he lost a three round unanimous decision to Sonnen.

WI