PDA

View Full Version : BJ Penn Wants Quick Return To Octagon

The Mac
09-01-2010, 05:58 PM
.J. Penn wants to return to the octagon sooner rather than later.

This past weekend at UFC 118, the former champ fell short in a rematch with Frankie Edgar, the same fighter who defeated Penn and took his belt in April at UFC 112.

Rather than sulk about the loss or rethink his approach, Penn simply wants to get back in the cage as soon as possible.

"I'm going to stick to what I said about being as active as I can," he said in a video post on bjpenn.com. "I am going to try to contact the UFC and get a fight as soon as possible."

Prior to UFC 118, MMAjunkie.com spoke to Penn during a media session in Boston. There, he said he's found balance after struggling with under-training and then over-training during his fight camps.

Now, at 31 years old, he said he knows he's in his prime and that now is the time to stay busy.

"I just want to fight," he said. "I can't do this forever. I'm 31 years old. I think I'm in my prime. Let's do it now."

Penn ultimately suffered a shutout (50-45) unanimous-decision loss to Edgar in the UFC 118 headliner and had no answer for Edgar's quick striking and takedowns. However, the Hawaiian said he suffered little damage in the fight and won't need additional time to heal.

"Luckily, I did not get injured, so I've got no injuries," he said. "I can still build off what I built in my last camp."

Following UFC 118, UFC president Dana White said he's not sure what's next for Penn and that he needed to consult UFC matchmaker Joe Silva. Currently, top contender Gray Maynard already has been promised the next shot at Edgar, and some of the other division's top contenders (Evan Dunham, Jim Miller, Sean Sherk) are already booked for fights.

However, plenty of potential opponents in the 155-pound division are available for upcoming fights, including Clay Guida, George Sotiropoulos, Takanori Gomi, Joe Stevenson, Kenny Florian and Kurt Pellegrino

Swinny
09-01-2010, 07:15 PM
I'll be interested to see who they put up against him. I think Takanori Gomi would be a good choice, for a rematch from years ago, since a lot of people wanted to see him face BJ right off the bat. Granted, he was disappointing against Kenflo but he definitely made up for it with the Tyson Griffin fight. It would be a good for BJ if he wins, to stop him from having a three fight loss streak and get him back to form, and if Gomi could actually pick up a victory it would be huge and put him to the top of the list for a title shot.

George Sotiropoulous could be good too but I'd rather see him go up against Kenny Florian, I think that would be a great fight.

Bazzinator
09-02-2010, 04:21 AM
i think george sotiropolous should fight gomi for the next number one contender after the maynard and edgar fight. if george wins title fight in australia would go off mid february but i guess that means that maynard and edgar would have to happen relatively soon with ufc heading to australia in february i think. either way bj has lost twice to this guy and should move down to like 6th in line for another shot to give the others a chance. give him florian or stevenson and it could be interesting

The Mac
09-02-2010, 04:28 AM
hmmm interesting ideas i would like to see bj and gomi that would be awesome... have george face kenflo really test george against some big competition and then prob have the winners face each other and then one of the losers gets joe