PDA

View Full Version : Cricket - KP to play in SA

OMEN
09-08-2010, 11:26 PM
Star batsman set to play in two four-day matches
Kevin Pietersen is set to play for South African side Kwa-Zulu Natal Dolphins in October in a bid to find his form ahead of the Ashes.

Pietersen was dropped by England for the two Twenty20 internationals and five One Day Internationals against Pakistan and has been playing for Surrey in Championship and one-day cricket.

The South African-born batsman, who made his first-class debut for the Durban-based Dolphins in 1998, will be available to play in two four-day matches for the franchise from October 7-17.

He requested the move himself to allow him the chance to get some further batting practice, particularly against the Kookaburra ball.
Extremely keen

"I'm extremely keen to get as much cricket as possible under my belt before a challenging and exciting winter," Pietersen said in a statement released by the ECB.

"My sole focus is to continue playing a leading role for England and joining Natal is the perfect opportunity to prepare in excellent conditions immediately before the Ashes.

"These two matches would enable me to work on my game against the Kookaburra ball in southern hemisphere conditions which is the ideal preparation for Australia."

Pietersen has made just one score over 50 in Test cricket this summer and has not scored a century since the tour of the Caribbean last March.

"We're very pleased Kevin is seeking to get some more high quality cricket in at a crucial period before the Ashes," England coach Andy Flower said.

"We are well aware of Kevin's attention to detail and thoroughness when it comes to preparation and he would gain a great deal from working on his batting against tough opposition in South Africa.

"Kevin's commitment and desire to work on his batting and play a significant part in a successful England team is unquestioned and this proposed arrangement with Natal, initiated by Kevin himself, further underlines that."

Sky