PDA

View Full Version : Paisley: Don't Give Pope A State Welcome

John
09-09-2010, 07:57 AM
The Reverend Ian Paisley has urged the Government to cancel next week's state welcome for the Pope.

In an exclusive interview with Sky News, the former first minister of Northern Ireland also has reveals that he had tried to dissuade Tony Blair from converting to Catholicism when he was still Prime Minister.

Dr Paisley said of the Pope's visit: "They are receiving him as a king. He's not a king."

It is not the first time that the Free Presbyterian preacher has protested at the presence of the Pontiff.

And he says the child abuse scandals have justified his lifelong opposition to Rome.

"When the Roman Catholic people are torn asunder because of this matter that the Pope has in many ways closed an eye to, it is time for the Protestant people also to support them."

Dr Paisley told Sky News that Tony Blair confided in him before converting to Catholicism.

The former first minister had gone to Downing Street to talk politics, not theology.

Dr Paisley said: "I was the last Protestant minister that spoke to the Prime Minister the night before he was made a Roman Catholic.

"He turned to me and said 'I will be a Roman Catholic tonight'.

"Well, I said I was going to say a few things and I said them - as a real Christian - because this was a matter of eternity."

Source - Yahoo.