PDA

View Full Version : Happy 25th Birthday, Super Mario Bros!

Kemo
09-13-2010, 08:46 PM
http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/9984/500x25mario.jpg

On September 13, 1985, Super Mario Bros. was released in Japan, meaning the world's most famous plumber's most famous game is now 25 years old. Happy birthday!

It seems almost pointless marking the occasion with a round-up, or a few paragraphs outlining his importance to video games - and video gamers - because it's Mario. He isn't important to video games. He is video games.

Whether appearing in his own flagship games or in spin-off titles where he plays basketball or becomes a paper airplane, Nintendo's mascot has been the most recognizable (and profitable) face this industry has ever - and will likely ever - see, almost single-handedly driving Nintendo through five whole generations of video game success.

He is the most recognizable face in gaming. His games are some of the highest-selling, and most critically-acclaimed of all time. And while other companies and characters either disappear into the history books or undergo awkward changes as they cling to relevance, Mario remains almost exactly the same. Still wearing red overalls, still with that goofy mustache, still risking life and limb to rescue the same, careless Princess.

And what started it all? Sure, he was in Donkey Kong in 1981, but he didn't have a name. Sure, there was Mario Bros. in 1983, but it was the Famicom (and NES) edition of Super Mario Bros. that made him. Heck, many people - myself included - would probably say that of all of Mario's core games, Super Mario Bros. was perhaps their favorite. It's definitely the most iconic.

So here's to you, Super Mario Bros. Others will pay their dues over the course of the day, I'm sure, so let me just say...happy birthday. And may your next 25 years be as successful and enjoyable for us all as your first.

:mario::bowser::koopa::luigi:

Smartmark
09-14-2010, 03:21 AM
Happy B-day Mario & Luigi!

OMEN
09-14-2010, 08:10 AM
Wow 25 years old it's hard to beliieve that this game is really that old......Happy Birthday Nintendo and Super Mario Brothers....

A Blissful Ass
09-16-2010, 12:21 PM
Happy Birthday Nintendo & the Mario Crew