PDA

View Full Version : Mischa Barton visits Down Under

OMEN
08-11-2006, 12:24 PM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/common/imageViewer/0,1445,250331,00.jpg
STEALING THE SHOW: The OC television star Mischa Barton was the main attraction at the David Jones summer fashion launch in Sydney.
She came, she saw, she shopped.

Well, she might not have had to fork out any money, but as Mischa Barton sat in the front row at Wednesday night's David Jones collections launch in Sydney, she made a few discoveries to add to the massive load of antipodean designer booty that she will haul back overseas.

"I've discovered a few new names, like Scanlan & Theodore, and found out about some others," the actress told the Sydney Morning Herald.

And some of her favourite Australian labels had loaded her with gifts.

"Sass & bide, Willow and Alice McCall have all given me things that I really love," said Barton, who looked effortlessly chic in an oyster-grey Willow cocktail dress that was complemented by Bulgari diamond earrings, a headpiece and black patent leather heels and opaque black tights.

Three years ago a David Jones fashion show meant a 10-metre wooden runway and a dozen local models jockeying for space among the Jiffies and sandals in the Elizabeth Street shop's shoe department.

In contrast, the week's spectacular at Wharf 8, where the face of David Jones, Megan Gale, was on the catwalk, is estimated to have cost the retailer at least $A700,000. It poached Mike Mizrahi, the party architect for the world's biggest luxury brand, Louis Vuitton.

"I wouldn't call it an extravaganza but I would call it very chic and very sophisticated," said Mizrahi, who used a two-tiered runway and video projections recently filmed in Tahiti to add a touch of the Pacific.

Waiters roamed the area in Mambo shirts and floral boardshorts, serving Moet champagne and Katering canapes to more than 500 guests, including the singer Nelly Furtado. Forty-seven models paraded 171 looks, including 89 dresses. Following hot on the heels of the international trend, the dress is already David Jones's biggest summer fashion story.

"We're all about a dress, our label," said the Sydney designer Alice McCall, who works for David Jones exclusively.

David Jones spared no expense for its launch, from Barton's estimated $A200,000 fee, to the private jet in which she will be flown today to Melbourne for a signing in the flagship Bourke Street shop.

Next week Myer returns fire with a Tony Assness show starring Jennifer Hawkins at Fox Studios.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/images/masthead/smh170.gif