PDA

View Full Version : Eric Bischoff Discusses The Reseach WWE Get's with Raw and Hogan

Travicity
09-21-2010, 01:10 PM
Eric Bischoff has a new blog on his official website. Below is an excerpt where he talks about "wrestling in general" and Hulk Hogan. I left out where he talks politics, as you can read that at the link below the excerpt if you're interested.

On Wrestling In General:

Sitting on Delta flight 2284 headed to Nashville to meet with Vince and Matt to go over the live iMPACT on the 7th and the BFG PPV.

There are some things I like about the production schedule of iMPACT (mostly not having to travel 52 weeks a year), but some things that I continue to find challenging. Most notably is the inability to read the crowd and "litmus test" an audience's reaction to a story, scene or character.

In reality television, networks and the companies that produce these formats usually produce a "casting tape" to get a sense of characters. Once a casting tape passes network muster, a "pilot presentation" or actual pilot is produced based on a treatment or outline that can range from in-depth to exhaustive depending on the network and the project.

The pilot typically goes through a series of network and producer notes BEFORE it goes to a research/focus group and then is re-edited (unless said project messes the bed) and then re-tested.

Should said project be green-lit, each episode goes through a grueling process of notes, edits, more notes, more edits, more notes and more edits and so on until (hopefully) the show sees a place on a schedule.

WWE (and WCW before it) has the ability to "test and focus group" their concepts in front of 5,000-15,000 live fans in an arena every Monday, dissect ratings information by Tuesday and make changes accordingly.

The fluidity of this process cannot be under-estimated.

While I am not sure I would want to sign up to be on the road 52 weeks per year at this point in my life, I do covet the real-time "research" and process that only a live television series like WWE Raw enjoys.

On Hulk Hogan:

I spoke to Hulk on Sunday morning. He sounded better than he had in 3 weeks and confidant that his current treatment was going to go well. By the time I got to Salt Lake City today for my connecting flight I heard that Hulk was back in the hospital for emergency treatment for his back. I traded texts with Hulk's fiancee and it sounds like he is resting comfortably for now.

Many of you reading this have your own opinions of Hulk Hogan the character. Most of what is written about him comes from second and third hand perspectives from those with their own agendas, and a fair amount is generated by response to Hulks own propensity to promote the product he loves.

Unfortunately, very few people know Terry Bollea.

My relationship with Hulk Hogan started out predictably. It was the classic "office vs. talent" relationship, except that I was green as goose shit and he was a master at the game.

Over the years there were moments when we either chose, or were forced to trust each other. As time went on and the gap between "office vs. talent" became narrower and the trust between us grew more solid, a different person began to emerge from the larger than life character that the world knows as Hulk Hogan.

In time, I began to distinguish Hulk Hogan from Terry Bollea.

Terry Bollea's real life challenges have played out over the last couple of years in a very public and sometimes painful manner.

But during this time I have been present and witnessed firsthand an uncompromising love of a father whose dedication to his children that knows no limitations. I've witnessed the grace and patience of a man who would rather spend time with a wrestling fan than he would in the company of high power entertainment personalities and executives.

I have seen generosity that, at times angered me because I felt it was unappreciated by those who benefited from it.

I have watched a 57-year-old man re-discover his joy and enthusiasm for life and his purpose in it, that is motivating to everyone around him despite situations and circumstances that would crack most people.

Here's hoping you get well soon and start kicking some ass again bro...in and out of the ring.

And thank you!

WNW