PDA

View Full Version : Comic great Norman Wisdom dies, 95

OMEN
10-05-2010, 11:20 AM
His family said he died peacefully on Monday evening at a nursing home on the Isle of Man.

He had suffered a series of strokes in the last six months.

Jan Kennedy, managing director of Billy Marsh Associates, the agency which discovered the star in the early 1950s, said: "Norman was simply a beloved comic genius. His whole personality projected a childlike warmth and innocent appeal that touched the hearts of everyone.

"Norman literally made audiences worldwide cry with laughter, and his endearing talents live on through the universal happiness of his films and recordings.

"We all loved and admired him as a true icon of the entertainment world. He will be sorely missed and our heartfelt thoughts are with his family at this sad time."

Phil Day, his publicist since 1969, said: "He never turned down any request. He never threw a tantrum. He was 100% professional all of the time.

"Of all the artists I've ever worked with, he's been the closest. It's a sad day.

"Whatever he said, you had to look for the tongue in the cheek to see if he was serious. I have never met anyone in the profession who didn't like him, right up to royalty.

"I've been with him with members of the Royal Family and the hairs on the back of my neck have stood up at things he's said. I can't think of anyone else who could get away with it."

Born Norman Wisden on 4 February 1915, Wisdom became a star with 'Trouble in Store' in 1953.

Between 1955 and 1966 he was Britain's biggest box office success, with films including 'The Early Bird', 'The Square Peg', 'Stitch in Time', 'There Was a Crooked Man' and 'The Girl on the Boat'.

He made a number of TV sitcoms and won critical acclaim for his non-comic role as a cancer patient in Stephen Frears' TV drama 'Going Gently'.

In later years he appeared in 'Coronation Street' and 'The Last of the Summer Wine', with his final film appearance, the short 'Expresso', in 2007.

RTE