PDA

View Full Version : Soccer: The Community Sheild Report

Spawn
08-13-2006, 05:38 PM
Crouch was unmarked as he jumped to head past Chelsea goalkeeper Carlo Cudicini in the 80th minute.

"It's always a big game against Chelsea no matter when it is," Crouch said. "If you look around and see the fans and the players who played today it's important to both sets of players and thankfully we've come out with the right result."

Liverpool had scored its first goal in the ninth minute on a counter attack, with John Arne Riise making a solo run down most of the field and shooting past Cudicini. He had collected the ball from a cleared Chelsea corner.

"They just backed off and backed off and I thought I'll just have a go," the Norway defender said. "I caught it sweet. I thought the goalkeeper would save it. I went so far and I couldn't see anybody so I'd just smash it and hope for the best."

Andriy Shevchenko scored his first goal for Chelsea in the 43rd minute, taking Frank Lampard's cross from the halfway line and chesting it down to sidefoot past Liverpool goalkeeper Pepe Reina.

Ten minutes earlier, Shevchenko had curled a long-range shot that Reina needed to dive to parry with one hand.

Michael Ballack, Chelsea's other big signing, only lasted 26 minutes after appearing to pull a muscle in his leg. He held ice to his left hip before being substituted.

Liverpool could have scored another before halftime, but Luis Garcia's shot hit Crouch's head and Cudicini pushed the ball over the bar with his fingers.

Chelsea and Liverpool have played 10 times in the last two seasons. Though Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez has won only twice, they've been in two semifinals - in the 2005 Champions League, which Liverpool went on to win, and last year's FA Cup, which Liverpool also won.

The game, featuring the league champion against the FA Cup winner, was again be played at Millennium Stadium because of a delay of more than a year in completing Wembley Stadium.

Chelsea is bidding for its third consecutive English Premier League title.

Both sides were involved in a shoving match in the 17th minute, after which Lampard was shown a yellow card. Liverpool's Momo Sissoko, who made the most impact in the midfield throughout the match, had tackled Ballack and Lampard retaliated against Liverpool's Boudewijn Zenden, a former Chelsea player.

Ballack had been shown a yellow card in the sixth for slide tackling Sissoko. He was replaced by another newcomer, Salomon Kalou.

Resting regular goalkeeper Petr Cech, Chelsea started with Cudicini in goal, who apart from failing to cope with Riise, nearly allowed an own-goal when Paulo Ferriera hit a weak back pass toward him. He also nearly let in an easy shot by Liverpool's Fabio Aurelio in the closing minutes.

Chelsea dictated the play early in the second half and Reina twice made saves. He first tipped over a shot by Didier Drogba, then dived low to parry Shevchenko's low header.

Liverpool started with a weakened lineup, with midfielder Steven Gerrard and new signing Craig Bellamy on the bench. Gerrard warmed up near the end of the first half to cheers from the crowd, and garnered the biggest cheer of the day when he came on as a 60th-minute substitute. Bellamy also played as a late sub as both sides made multiple changes.

Benitez did start new additions Jermaine Pennant and Mark Gonzalez, neither of who finished the match. Gonzalez scored the winner for Liverpool in its 2-1 win over Maccabi Haifa in the first leg of a Champions League qualifying match on Wednesday.

Benitez and Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho are both likely to tinker with their lineups with the Premier League season kicking off on Saturday. Liverpool opens at Sheffield United and Chelsea hosts Manchester City next Sunday.

Credit:Fox Sports

Dmac
08-13-2006, 05:54 PM
I shall just post this as it is clearer with info.

Liverpool 2-1 Chelsea

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/175/crouchui0.png (http://imageshack.us)

Liverpool lifted the Community Shield, thanks to Peter Crouch's 80th-minute winner at the Millennium Stadium.

A tepid second half looked to be drifting towards penalties when Crouch rose to head in Craig Bellamy's cross.

Liverpool, with Steven Gerrard on the bench, went ahead when John Arne Riise ran 60 yards before beating Carlo Cudicini with a dipping shot.

But £30.8m striker Andriy Shevchenko equalised before the break, guiding home Frank Lampard's inviting pass.

Victory will be particularly sweet for Rafael Benitez, who began the match with skipper Gerrard, £6m signing Bellamy and Xabi Alonso on the bench.

By contrast, Chelsea counterpart Jose Mourinho packed summer arrivals Shevchenko and Michael Ballack into his side alongside established first-teamers Frank Lampard, Didier Drogba and Arjen Robben.

But while Liverpool may have been lacked the star power of their opponents, they were the more cohesive unit in the first half.

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/1517/shevadv6.png (http://imageshack.us)
Shevchenko scored his first goal in English football

Chelsea fans had only just been revelling in the way Shevchenko had pressurised the Liverpool defence into conceding a corner when they saw their team go behind.

Steve Finnan headed clear and Riise ran almost the length of the pitch unchallenged before unleashing a 25-yard shot which Cudicini perhaps should have saved.

Mourinho looked on in disgust, arms folded.

His mood worsened when first Lampard was booked for a petulant kick on Bolo Zenden and then Ballack, yellow-carded after seven minutes, hobbled off with an apparent hip injury midway through the first half.

Liverpool could have made it 2-0 when the lively Mark Gonzalez slid a dangerous pass across goal and the ball came off Luis Garcia but Cudicini redeemed himself by tipping over under pressure from Crouch.

But while his team-mates struggled, Shevchenko shone and the Ukrainian drew Chelsea level on 43 minutes.

Lampard provided the pass, which Shevchenko controlled beautifully before coolly slotting past Reina.

The Shevchenko show continued in the second half, the former AC Milan star forcing Reina to tip a header round the post.

But as Chelsea began to take charge of proceedings, Benitez first brought on Gerrard and Alonso, then moments later introduced Bellamy.

It was the Wales striker, making his club debut at Cardiff's Millennium Stadium, who made the difference in the end.

His electric pace saw him break clear down the left and he delivered a fabulous cross for Crouch to head in from close range.

Brazilian substitute Fabio Aurelio might even have made the scoreline more emphatic but he was denied by a sharp Cudicini save.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chelsea: Cudicini, Paulo Ferreira (Mikel 81), Terry, Ricardo Carvalho, Essien, Geremi (Bridge 53), Ballack (Kalou 26), Lampard, Shevchenko, Drogba (Wright-Phillips 71), Robben (Diarra 62).
Subs Not Used: Hilario, Mancienne.

Booked: Ballack, Lampard, Diarra.

Goals: Shevchenko 43.

Liverpool: Reina, Finnan, Agger, Carragher, Riise, Pennant (Gerrard 60), Sissoko, Zenden (Alonso 60), Gonzalez (Aurelio 56), Crouch (Sinama Pongolle 89), Luis Garcia (Bellamy 66).
Subs Not Used: Dudek, Hyypia.

Booked: Alonso.

Goals: Riise 9, Crouch 80.

Att: 56,275

Ref: M Atkinson (W Yorkshire).

Credit - BBC Sport

Spawn
08-13-2006, 05:59 PM
meh..o well I just did a copy paste job on it,it was a good game though. I dont think Chelsea will have a good season this year.

Slash
08-13-2006, 06:38 PM
I still wanna shout abuse at OMEN!

OMEN
08-13-2006, 09:29 PM
What can i say today Liverpool were the better team and Rise's Goal i don't think you will see a better goal than that even if Carlo was in goal....
Congrratulations to Liverpool,But get the Abuse in quick Rik we have you at least two more times this season and the result wonn't be the same so Enjoy it Now...lol