PDA

View Full Version : Jericho comments on The Rock not returning

Konan
10-18-2010, 04:45 PM
The Sun in the UK has part-two of a Chris Jericho interview up. Here are some highlights:

Jericho on The Rock: “The Rock is a great guy, he’s a great actor, he was great wrestler — one of my favourites — but I don’t understand why he doesn’t want to come back to the show once in a while.”

Jericho on other stars like Mickie James & Maria leaving WWE because of other projects: “At the risk of sounding egotistical, I’ve reached a certain point where you know what Jericho brings to the table. You know the value that I have to the show, both on camera and behind the scenes in the locker room as an idea guy. So I think I can get away with a lot more. Plus I think it’s always been understood about Jericho is that there is another side to me. When I walked into the WWE I had a band, there’s always been stuff like that going on. If I was just some guy wet behind the ears in his first year in the business there’s no way I’d be able to get away with all this stuff.”

Black Widow
10-18-2010, 04:52 PM
Chris Jericho: I'm Not Like The Rock

CHRIS JERICHO has joined with John Cena in criticising The Rock for turning his back on the wrestling business.

Cena caused a sensation on these pages two years ago when he slammed the WWE legend for shying away from the industry that made him a star.

And, in the second part of his exclusive SunSport interview, Jericho said: "The Rock is a great guy, he's a great actor, he was great wrestler — one of my favourites — but I don't understand why he doesn't want to come back to the show once in a while."

Chris — who has departed WWE to tour the UK with his rock band Fozzy and pursue a TV career — added: "Maybe it's just that Rock's scheduling doesn't work out, but I never have that problem.

"I never want to hide my wrestling background. I'm very proud of it, and if it wasn't for that I wouldn't be where I am today doing all these other great things.

"Whatever I do, I'll always do it with the utmost respect for WWE and always be the ultimate company man when it comes to promoting the business.

"In Hollywood there really is a stigma against wrestling. I think that's why people think wrestlers are Neanderthals who can't string two words together.

"You have to almost eliminate that part of your persona when you are trying to make it out there. For some reason people just don't get it.

"Luckily in music, it's not so much of a stigma. People say 'You wrestle? Oh, I love wrestling'.

"And that's also why hosting the game TV show Downfall recently was so huge for me. Now I'm not the wrestling guy, I'm the Downfall guy. It gave me a leg up for other, future gigs.

"When you're just 'the wrestling guy' you get passed over because you made the mistake of making it in that business."

As well as his music, wrestling and TV careers, in 2010 Jericho has also written the second volume of his autobiography, had a DVD produced by WWE and appeared in the feature film MacGruber.

He added: "This stuff just keeps going and going.

"I think most people would buckle under all that pressure but I have a really supportive wife, I have a good family life at home and when I'm at home I don't do anything. That's the difference. I'm not busy at home.

"Am I a workaholic? Yes, but I also have no problem taking time for myself.

"I'm proud of it, but I don't brag about it, I don't have an ego about it. To me it's just business as usual. It's just the way it is. It couldn't be any other way.

"At one point in the summer I was writing the book, touring with Fozzy, wrestling a full time schedule and doing Downfall.

"That was a little bit busy, but you've got to take it where you can get it, man, because next year it can be very fleeting.

"Next year no one might want to talk to me. I might not get booked wrestling and the band might break up. I might not have another book deal.

"I might have nothing to do and I'll have to get a job at a community theatre doing Shakespeare in the park.

"But as long as I'm doing something that involves showbusiness and entertainment I'll be happy."

There have been performers who have been forced to leave WWE in recent years, most notably Maria Kanellis and Mickie James, in order to pursue outside activities. Jericho sees no such issue holding him back.

He said: "At the risk of sounding egotistical, I've reached a certain point where you know what Jericho brings to the table.

"You know the value that I have to the show, both on camera and behind the scenes in the locker room as an idea guy. So I think I can get away with a lot more.

"Plus I think it's always been understood about Jericho is that there is another side to me. When I walked into the WWE I had a band, there's always been stuff like that going on.

"If I was just some guy wet behind the ears in his first year in the business there's no way I'd be able to get away with all this stuff."

Of all his projects away from WWE, it was clear throughout our chat that Fozzy is Chris's real passion.

And if you've not heard Jericho's music yet, then he says you're in for a pleasant surprise after he's spent years proving the doubters and critics wrong.

He told us: "I could be a butcher, baker or a candlestick maker — all that matters is good music. I've really noticed that in the last couple of years.

"Now people don't care that Jericho is a wrestler any more, people just know that Fozzy is a kick-ass band that plays great songs.

"There will still be people who think I can't sing because I'm a wrestler, but the only people who like rock music that aren't Fozzy fans are the ones who haven't heard us yet.

"But people can hate me all they want, hate my band all they want, because there are thousands of people or millions of people who do dig what I do.

"And if you're not on that side then go listen to Lady Gaga, I don't give a s***."

The Sun

Metalitia
10-18-2010, 05:26 PM
Pretty good read that.

On a side note following this comment:

And if you're not on that side then go listen to Lady Gaga, I don't give a shit.

My girlfriend got a t shirt at the Fozzy show last week with "FOZZY" on the front whilst the back is emblazoned with "Lady Gaga Must Be Destroyed" :scsa:

Kenpachi Zaraki
10-18-2010, 05:51 PM
Jericho is God