PDA

View Full Version : UFC 121 PPV Live Coverage

Travicity
10-24-2010, 03:39 AM
GABRIEL GONZAGA VS. BRENDAN SCHAUB

Round 1 - Referee Jason Herzog in charge of the first main-card bout. Gonzaga takes the center as Schaub circles to his right. Both explosive heavyweights cautious early. Gonzaga moves in, and Schaub throws a right hand, but they back away. Gonzaga stalking. Schaub misses a few pawing jabs. Schaub catches a low kick but can't topple Gonzaga. Schaub scores up top with his quick hands. More punches come. Gonzaga backs away and resets. Schaub scores with an overhand right. Gonzaga hasn't been rattled, but Schaub much busier. Schaub with a glancing combo, and Gonzaga misses a big overhand. Both fighters very patient. Schaub works to the body. Gonzaga scores an outside leg kick. Schaub with three punches. Gonzaga ducks for a takedown, but Schaub pulls away. Schaub lands a right and avoids the counter. Schaub pushes forward behind punches. He's attacking but not over-extending. Crowd boos a bit. Right hands traded. Gonzaga has a high kick blocked. Quick firefight, and Schaub gets the best of it. Best moment of the fight. Gonzaga is hurt. He covers up and Schaub attacks and knocks him down at the bell. Great finish for Schaub, who takes the round on the MMAjunkie.com card, 10-9.

Round 2 - Gonzaga looks frustrated, but not rattled, to open the second. Schaub returns to his patient attack. Jab scores, and maybe Gonzaga is still on wobbly legs as he staggers slightly. Gonzaga lands a low kick. Another scores. Schaub defends another takedown attempt. Gonzaga staggers after a low kick, and Schaub attacks. Rapid punches, but Gonzaga covers up, and Schaub slows. Moderate pace, and crows wants Schaub to open up. He jabs, but he's still respecting the power of his opponent. Halfway in. Gonzaga eats another jab and misses a right. He's bleeding a bit and apparently looking for a homerun. Gonzaga covers up on the fence as Schaub fires off punches. Most are blocked, but he's definitely in control of the action. Schaub carrying his hands a little low, but he's pumping straights. Gonzaga trying to land the big counter overhand. Schaub lands a nice straight right. Gonzaga offering little at this point, though he does fire off a high kick that comes up just short. Exchange at the end, and it's another round on the MMAjunkie.com card for Schaub, 10-9.

Round 3 - Touch of gloves for the final round. Gonzaga still hesitating to attack. He wants to counter, and Schaub is trying not to play into it. Schaub shoots. Gonzaga sprawls well and tries to jump the back. Schaub just gets away in a scary moment. Schaub pumps the jab with more success. Gonzaga is walking forward with a plodding attack. He does land a few lefts of his own. Schaub relaxed on his feet. Gonzaga kicks to the body. Gonzaga has a high kick blocked. Schaub continues to stick and move. Third round playing out much like the first two, though Schaub perhaps more conservative here. Two minutes left. Gonzaga lands to the cup, but Schaub doesn't want to let him rest. No break. Schaub fighting a bit too defensively for the crowd's liking as he scampers away. He's trying to ride out the clock, but they want a finish. Gonzaga still giving chase, and he's thrown a few power shots, but he can't find a home. Gonzaga kicks to the body. Crowd back to the boos. With 10 seconds left, they do trade, and both land. Schaub shoots in, but Gonzaga moves to the back. Horn sounds, and Gonzaga doesn't want to let the rear-naked choke attempt go, but he must. A few more seconds could have been trouble. Despite the late danger, MMAjunkie.com sees the round for Schaub, 10-9, and gives him the fight, 30-27. Brendan Schaub def. Gabriel Gonzaga via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27).

MATT HAMILL VS. TITO ORTIZ

Round 1 - Referee "Big" John McCarthy in the cage. Crowd is electric for this matchup, and despite being in California, the building sounds pro-Hamill, though Ortiz gets his share of cheers, too. Quick start in the middle, and Ortiz lands a high kick. Hamill scrambles and lands a punch on the chin. Ortiz waves him in for more. Good start. Hamill circles on the outside. Ortiz tries another kick, and Hamill catches it and brings the fight to the floor. Ortiz scrambles up to north-south and eventually back to his feet Small cut on side of Ortiz's head. Ortiz actually looks like the faster fighter early, and he throws another high kick. Ortiz lands a low kick. Hamill moves in behind pawing jabs. Ortiz slips a few punches. Halfway in, and Ortiz lands a jab. Pace slowing from the frantic open. Ortiz cut under the eye, too. Hamill picking his spots, but Ortiz staying more active, as witnessed by a spinning backfist. Hamill lands an uppercut and evades the counter. Hamill covering up well, but he's retreating from Ortiz's attacks. Final seconds, and Hamill gets the best of the late action, including some after the bell. Nevertheless, MMAjunkie.com sees the first for Ortiz, 10-9.

Round 2 - Less torrid pace to open. Hamill now has a little snap back, and he delivers on some early countershots. Ortiz lands a left. Hamill mixing in low kicks. Hamill with a jab. Takedown attempt stuffed. Ortiz pushes Hamill with a right hand then lands a knee up the middle. Ortiz throwing kicks at different levels. Hamill punches to the cup, but no stoppage. Hamill starting to work his jab. Hamill covering up well, but Ortiz advances with two punches and a knee. Ortiz with a slapping thigh kick. Halfway in. Hamill ducks under and scores a takedown. Ortiz in guard. Ortiz works a closed guard, and neither fighter doing much with the hands. Hamill does bring in an elbow. Ortiz rolls for an arm, but it misses. Hamill lands a few left hands from the top. His punches are not crisp, but they score points. Hamill postures. Ortiz tries again for the arm, but Hamill avoids it in and rolls out to side control. Hamill gets a few short elbows in before the round ends. MMAjunkie.com sees it for Hamill, 10-9.

Round 3 - Touch of gloves for the final frame. Hamill comes out swinging and lands a left. Hamill with his arms wide as he looks to bait Ortiz. Left for Hamill. Stall in the center. Ortiz breaks it with a punch, but Hamill counters. Ortiz kicks to the body. Hamill moving away well. Hamill double jab, but it's largely short. Ortiz kicks to the body. Fight appears to be there for either fighter. Hamill lands a lead left. Right hand for Hamill. Hamill very nonchalant, but he's scoring. The early steam from Ortiz has definitely subsided. Ortiz misses with a few strikes. Hamill doesn't. Ortiz tries for the takedown, but Hamill sprawls and avoids. Ortiz looks to be slowing. Hamill not exactly making him pay, though he does deliver another big takedown. Hamill in half-mount, and this might be it for Ortiz. Hamill throws a few punches from the top. Ortiz decides to throw back from the floor. Hamill looks comfortable holding this position. Left hands from the top. Ortiz moving his hips, but he won't escape. Round is going to end with Hamill on top, and MMAjunkie.com gives him the round, 10-9, as well as the fight, 29-28. Matt Hamill def. Tito Ortiz via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27).

DIEGO SANCHEZ VS. PAULO THIAGO

Round 1 - Referee Jason Hezog oversees this welterweight affair. Thiago takes the center, though he has to avoid a few punching leaps from Sanchez. Thiago stalks and tries to keep his foe at bay with jabs. Sanchez lands a few stiff jabs, though Thiago is there to answer. Sanchez shoots, but Thiago sprawls beautifully and lands a few knees as he holds on to the clinch. Sanchez tries to drop for a takedown, but Thiago answers with ample defense. They break from the clinch after a missed Thiago knee. Sanchez comfortable fighting with his back next to the cage. Thaigo pushing in cautiously. He ducks in for a bodylock and trips Sanchez to the floor. Thiago in half-mount. Sanchez turns in, and Thiago looks to lick in the D'arce. It's close, but Sanchez stands. Thiago looks to continue with the attack, bit Sanchez finally pulls free. One minute left. Sanchez lands a right hand. He flurries against the cage, though Thiago wraps him up with overhooks and stalls the action. Sanchez ducks for a takedown, and Thaigo controls the head.Thaigo spins off and delivers a flurry in the closing seconds. MMAjunkie.com sees the first for Thiago, 10-9.

Round 2 - Thiago stalking again early. Sanchez looks a little more reserved, and Thiago makes him pay with three punches against the cage. Sanchez shoots in, and Thiago shows excellent balance while sprawling. Thiago tries to deliver a massive acrobatic upkick, but it winds up allowing Sanchez to settle in on top. Facing backward, Sanchez tries to attack the ankle. Thiago defends, and Sanchez sins to take a more traditional top position. Thiago turns immediately to lock in a kimura. Sanchez defends it well. Thiago drives in an elbow, and Herzog calls for time. Perhaps to the back of the head? Sanchez is fine, and they restart in the position.Sanchez snaps the arm over on the restart, but Sanchez meticulously works it free after a few tense moments. Sanchez attacks from top. Thiago rolls him over in a beautiful sweep, but Sanchez scrambles back up and hoists Thiago up. Massive slam brings the crowd to its feet. Thiago is attacking from the bottom position, but it's unlikely he's scoring many points. Sanchez steps over and tries to take the back. Thaigo defends it well, but Sanchez drives a few right hands in to the head. Thiago kneeling, and Sanchez tries to take the back. Thiago comes out the back door and fires off a combination. Crowd rewards the great round when it expires. MMAjunkie.com gives it to Sanchez, 10-9.

MARTIN KAMPMANN VS. JAKE SHIELDS

Round 1 - Referee "Big" John McCarthy oversees the evening's co-main event. Shields takes the center and opens with a high kicks. Kampmann circles on the outside wary, and he shucks off an early takedown attempt. Shields press through and gets it on the second try. Kampmann keeps his arms tight around the body, but Shields finally breaks it and sets up in half-mont. Shields controls the head and works hard to pass to mont, though Kampmann does a good job of scrambling underneath. Shields' persistence pays off, and he works to mount. THree minutes remain, but Kampmann bucks and makes enough room to work back to his feet. Shields presses against the cage, and Kampmann can't work himself free. Shields tries to drop for a single, and Kampmann looks to secure the neck, but it's not there. The fighters work for position in the clinch. Kampmann slides free and resets in the center. Kampmann wants to strike, but he hesitates, and it's Shields that lands the jab. Shields kicks to the body. Kampmann finally pops a jab. Shields shoots from distance unsuccessfully. Shields does have his mouth open. Kampmann delivers a right hand, and Shields shoots and drives Kampmann across the cage. Round ends there, and MMAjunkie.com sees it for Shields, 10-9.

Round 2 - Kampmann to the center, and Shields throws a soft low kick. Shields shoots in. Kampmann sprawls to perfection, but Shields pops up and pushes through to the clinch. Kampmann controls well and tries to lock in a D'arce choke, Shiekds falls to a knee, pushes under the legs and moves to top position. Kampmann does not want to lead the head go, but Shields steps over and takes side control. Kampmann scrambling underneath, and he moves back to his feet. Kampmann fires off a knee to the body and then to the head. Shields is gassed, and he checks the clock wit three minutes left. Shields is exhausted, but he does manage to move t top position. From there, he takes mount. Kampmann scrambles underneath and delivers a few elbows. Still, Shields passes again and takes mount. Kampmann sweeps and moves back to the feet. The fames mount not working so great for Shields tonight. In the clinch against the cage, and McCarthy wants a restart. Kampmann delivers a right hand on the restart, and the round ends. It's not inspiring, but MMAjunkie.com sees it for Shields, 10-9.

Round 3 - Shields kicks to the body and shoots a lazy single leg. Kampmann sits down on it and then returns to the feet. Kampmann throws a high kick. Jabs for Kampmann. Shields shoots again, and Kampmann sprawls out and looks for the back. Shields stands and walks away, and Kampmann kicks him in the body as he escapes. Shields shoots again, and Kampmann sprawls again. This time he does work to the back. Shields turtles and Kampmann lands a few punches. Shields rises and tries to push Kampmann to the cage, but he sprawls out again. Kampmann looks for the choke. He gets to north-south with an arm-in, but he can't secure it. Halfway in, and Kampmann pushes Shields to his back. Shields postures and reverses the positioning. Kampmann now on his back, and his shot at victory likely relies on him getting back up. He prevents the pass and rolls. Shields stays pinned to the back and drags him back to the floor. Kampmann defends the choke well, but he needs more than that. Shields with a figure-four, and the fight will ends with him throwing soft right hands. Boos from the crowd. MMAjunkie.com likes Kampmann in the action-light final frame, 10-9, but awards Shields the fight, 29-28. Jake Shields def. Martin Kampmann via split decision (28-29, 30-27, 29-28).

CHAMP BROCK LESNAR VS. CAIN VELASQUEZ

Round 1 - Referee Herb Dean calls the night's main event, and this building is absolutely and unbelievably electric. Lesnar circles and bullrushes in. Velasquez handles the rush and trades in the pocket. Lesnar with a leaping knee early. Velasquez hits him, and Lesnar turns a bit, but he moves right back in with a takedown. Velasquez hits the deck, but he doesn't stay there. Mad rush in the opening 40 seconds. Lesnar pushes in for a single. It's not there, but he continues to drive Velasquez against the cage. Velasquez sprawls, but Lesnar eventually slams him down. He pops right back up again. Lesnar's cheek is reddened, and it's Velasquez who gets the takedown. Lesnar on his knees. Velasquez fires punches from both sides. Lesnar pops back to his feet. Backhand slap from Lesnar. Velasquez attacks, and Lesnar stumbles. Velasquez all over him, and Lesnar drops to the mat. Velasquez primed for the finish. Dean watching intently. Still two minutes left. Velasquez throws a few punches, but doesn't gas himself out. He moves into half-mount. Lesnar covering, but there is not much movement. It's the Carwin fight all over again. Lesnar finally stands, but he is on shaky legs. Velasquez drops him again, and Lesnar is turtled up. He does moves at Dean's request, but Velasquez is unrelenting. Dean has no choice. We have a new champion. Cain Velasquez def. Brock Lesnar via TKO (punches) - Round 1, 4:01 to become new UFC heavyweight champion.

Travicity
10-24-2010, 03:59 AM
Im happy Schaub won. But I shouldnt of bet on Lesnar/Cain. I want both to lose and win damn it.

Smartmark
10-24-2010, 04:05 AM
That was a boring match in my opinion. I would have expected much more of Ortiz. And damn! I lost money on bookie :(

Travicity
10-24-2010, 04:08 AM
No it was pretty good first 2 rounds were good they slowed down a little bit I picked Miller I used to like Tito but I dont like him now. Miller's Great I won some in bookie and that's 2 for 2 so far but I really dont know what I want with the Main Event.

Smartmark
10-24-2010, 04:33 AM
Sanchez Vs Thiago was a great match, but I would have hoped for a Tapout or KO win. I don't know, but I really don't like when matches like that ends with TKO.

Travicity
10-24-2010, 04:34 AM
Yea lol there was an Olympic Slam and Monkey Toss likes moves I like them both but Sanchez is back! :P

The Mac
10-24-2010, 04:36 AM
damn straight he is back

Travicity
10-24-2010, 04:38 AM
Not a bad show so far got all the picks and bookies except for a Pre Lim but not really a fan of either :P but a good show and better than 120 :P I want Shields to win this but havnt seen much of either of these but hopefully an impressive debut from Shields even though a loss would be sort of funny to see.

The Mac
10-24-2010, 04:48 AM
u havent seen shields?

Travicity
10-24-2010, 05:05 AM
Lol yea ive seen him a few times in Strikeforce.

and I dont know about that lol Shields won? Well hey at least we win our bookie cash :D

The Mac
10-24-2010, 05:18 AM
exactly lol

Smartmark
10-24-2010, 05:24 AM
WTF!??!! What was that? Lesnar got PWND! :no:

Travicity
10-24-2010, 05:25 AM
OH SHIT MY GOD LOL I knew it I just had a feeling with the hands of Cain he would lose and Lesnar's always struggled and gotten blown up but wow out 100 but bam a new star is born lol

The Mac
10-24-2010, 05:27 AM
im out 3000 and bullshit brock was defending

Smartmark
10-24-2010, 05:28 AM
Lesnar better come back for that belt in the future!

Travicity
10-24-2010, 05:29 AM
Lol i said that I just had a feeling I didnt know what I wanted lol but the way Lesnar is it's hard to believe Brock's not gonna get blown up or defend and even if he did win I dont think he could of gone on much longer. But exciting my god.

Smartmark
10-24-2010, 05:32 AM
Yeah, I watched a couple of great fights tonight, and I wonder why I don't watch MMA more often. Cause this was a good show.

With Undertaker in the audience and everything :P

Thanx for the coverave Travis!

Travicity
10-24-2010, 05:52 AM
Yup you should watch it more 122 will be a slight letdown but 123 can't fu*king wait.

bigdadda04
10-24-2010, 06:40 AM
wow lesnar lost

Smartmark
10-24-2010, 06:45 AM
What if it was a fixed match? Lesnar lost on purpose?!

He did seem very weak in that match, and I am still surprised he got owned like that.

And because of the staredown with Taker after the match, maybe Lesnar will come back to WWE??

Travicity
10-24-2010, 06:47 AM
Nah Lesnar get's owned like that sometimes Carwin mostly owned him and he was on the mat but the staredown might of just been a simple hi and nothing more. Or just an interview we dont know.

Smartmark
10-24-2010, 06:48 AM
^^ Or maybe we called something :wink:

Travicity
10-24-2010, 06:49 AM
Lol you never know time will tell.....

Swinny
10-24-2010, 06:26 PM
What if it was a fixed match? Lesnar lost on purpose?!

He did seem very weak in that match, and I am still surprised he got owned like that.

And because of the staredown with Taker after the match, maybe Lesnar will come back to WWE??

You know you watch way too much wrestling when... :P

Very impressed with Cain, he dominated Brock and he definitely deserves that title. The rest of the show though, not that great. Disappointing debut by Jake Shields and there is no way he has any chance against GSP in the shape he was in last night. Diego looked pretty good though and Thiago put up a good fight in that one, so I think they deserved Fight of the Night. Brendan Schaub with a big win over Gonzaga, who just looked terribly slow and sluggish and there may not be much left for him in MMA. Another person that might not have much left for him in MMA, as much as I hate to say it, is Tito Ortiz. He definitely disappointed me last night, but props to Matt Hamill.

The Mac
10-24-2010, 10:46 PM
taker said they got something personal between them