PDA

View Full Version : Michael J Bassett Explains His Take On New 'Silent Hill' Film

Travicity
11-10-2010, 10:39 PM
In what was probably the least expected thing to happen at AFM (especially after all the non-news over the past few years) , Silent Hill: Revelation 3D was announced, with Michael J Bassett (Solomon Kane) in the director's chair. Taking the reigns for the series from Christophe Gans (Brotherhood Of The Wolf), he also took over writing duties, which Roger Avery had previously been rumored as doing. Given that he hasn't been having the best of times lately, it really isn't too surprising. The new helmer recently sat down with Empire, giving some new info on his 3D sequel to the video game adaptation.

Although plot details have already surfaced, Bassett talks about the angle of the script, which is in the "early days, and I'm keeping details of the plot secret for now, but it's going to be a sequel to the first film whilst trying to remain true to the plot of game 3, and will also work as a stand-alone movie for people who don't know the series." The third game is often thought of as the best in the series, which follows Heather Mason, who, on the eve of her 18th birthday, is plagued with horrible nightmares and the disappearance of her father. Determined to find the reason for both, she journeys to a mysterious town known as Silent Hill.

Bassett loves both the movie and game series, which is exactly the kind of the person the next entry needs at the helm. The look and feel of the original is what he seems to really admire, going as far as to say he plans on getting most of the creative team back together for his film. Personally, that's what I wanted to hear, as I thought that was the only truly great thing about, with the plot being nothing more than a scavenger hunt. Speaking of that sentiment, when talking about the games, he went on to say, "I love the complexity and psychological twists that Konami created, so [I] will do my best to honour that, but I'm determined to deliver a movie that... gives the audience more nuanced characters, a compelling story, and some terrifying new monsters... as well as bringing back a few favourites."

Silent Hill: Revelation 3D is set to go into production this winter in Toronto, with an original - not re-written - script by Bassett.

Source: Empire