PDA

View Full Version : Atlantis - Real or Myth?

LionDen
08-16-2006, 01:41 AM
I believe that the story of Atlantis is true. As all myths and legends usually come from some fact, there is a possibility that a whole city was sunk in the past.

Whether it be earthquake, dam busting or any other method, the fact remains that it is plausible. look at Califonia, if that mjaor earthquake does happen, then that whole state will end up under water.

Now, whether or not the infamous sunken city was named Atlantis or not is open to speculation but IMO, this is one myth that is plausible and true.

scorpionf
08-16-2006, 03:11 PM
I think it is plausible and possible that there could be cities at the bottom of the ocean.

Just look at how much the land mass of the earth has changed and moved over the millions of years, and at present, there is nothing that can reach the deepest depths of the ocean, so anything could be down there.

Even here in Australia, there is a city under water in Jindabyne... When they decided to divert the natural course of the river and build the town where the river used to be. One year the rain is exceptionally heavy, the river diverts to it's natural course, and now the original city is under the water, and parts of it can be seen on a clear day (it's actually quite cool to see that when you are there).

The Hammer
09-05-2006, 06:27 PM
I will go with plausible but not sure about true. I just think that with everything exlporers have today that some one would have found it by now.

Joe
09-08-2006, 11:11 PM
I found an article that states Antlantis existed and is actually Ireland that we know of today. ill look for it and post it

*Edit* *Merged*
Was Atlantis actually Ireland?
Geographer says isle matches Plato's description

DUBLIN, Ireland - Atlantis, the legendary island nation over whose existence controversy has raged for thousands of years, was actually Ireland, according to a new theory by a Swedish scientist.

Atlantis, the Greek philosopher Plato wrote in 360 B.C., was an island in the Atlantic Ocean where an advanced civilization developed 11,500 years ago until it was hit by a cataclysmic natural disaster and sank beneath the waves.

Geographer Ulf Erlingsson, whose book explaining his theory will be published next month, says the measurements, geography and landscape of Atlantis as described by Plato match Ireland almost exactly.

“I am amazed no one has come up with this before, it’s incredible,” he told Reuters. “Just like Atlantis, Ireland is 300 miles long, 200 miles wide, and widest across the middle. They both have a central plain surrounded by mountains. I’ve looked at geographical data from the rest of the world and of the 50 largest islands there is only one that has a plain in the middle — Ireland.”

Sinking of North Sea shoal
Erlingsson believes the idea that Atlantis sank came from the fate of Dogger Bank, an isolated shoal in the North Sea, about 60 miles (100 kilometers) off the northeastern coast of England, which sank after being hit by a huge flood wave around 6,100 B.C.

“I suspect that myth came from Ireland and it derives from Dogger Bank. I think the memory of Dogger Bank was probably preserved in Ireland for around 3,000 years and became mixed up with the story of Atlantis,” he said.

Erlingsson links the boundaries of the Atlantic Empire, as outlined by Plato, with the geographic distribution of megalithic monuments in Europe and Northern Africa, matching Atlantis’ temples with well-known burial sites at Newgrange and Knowth, north of Dublin, which predate the pyramids.

Could Plato have known?
His book, “Atlantis From a Geographer’s Perspective: Mapping the Fairy Land,” calculates the probability Plato would have had access to geographical data about Ireland as 99.98 percent.

Previous theories about Atlantis have suggested it may have been around the Azores Islands, 900 miles (1,440 kilometers) west of the Portuguese coast, or in the Aegean Sea. Others locate it solely in Plato's imagination.
Copyright 2006 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5623857/

interesting indeed

The Hammer
09-12-2006, 05:11 PM
Wow I can see that. Then everyone was looking for something that was right under their nose. Good find Joe.

LionDen
09-15-2006, 12:20 PM
Very interesting read joe, thankyou A very interesting theory that Ireland was / is Atlantis, I never heard that before.

WickedMoon
09-18-2006, 11:27 PM
That is very interesting. I always believed that Atlantis was real but was actually called something else. It is often that things get lost in translation.

king_of_unknown
09-21-2006, 10:46 AM
what i think is that it might be true but, (i'll use this as an example) i told my sister a stor a few weeks ago, she had told my mum who told my dad and so on, when it got back to me it was heaps different then what i had told only a bit was the same.
I think this might have happened with Atlantis

WickedMoon
09-22-2006, 03:01 AM
I agree with you.. it is like that old game of Telephone. There is a grain of truth to it but by the time it actually gets written down it has changed so much you dont recognized the story you started with...

Danny
09-22-2006, 03:54 AM
I'm not sure what to believe. Sometimes I do think that someday we will find it, then other days I wonder why I thought that. I can't seem to make up my mind. I hope it's real, but you never can tell.

EGZ
09-30-2006, 03:20 AM
Myth imo its just unrealistic