PDA

View Full Version : Jackson Says he's Fighting for More than Money

Travicity
11-17-2010, 10:41 PM
Credit: Sherdog.com

During a recent appearance on the Sherdog Radio Network's It's Time program with UFC ring announcer Bruce Buffer, former UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Quinton "Rampage" Jackson revealed his desire to revert to the mentality that made him a legend during his tenure as a fighter in the PRIDE Fighting Championships.

Claiming that the increased income that comes along with fighting for the UFC had him partially distracted, Jackson said that he is now looking to compete for something more important than money.

"This fight right here has nothing to do with money," Jackson told Buffer. "This fight right here is all about honor and respect. Since I've been in the UFC, I have been all about money because quite honestly, I've made more money in the UFC than I ever did in other shows. It's really easy to get beside yourself and be all about the money, all about the money. But I remember back in my Pride days, I used to just go and fight for honor. … I want to go back to my old Pride days when I used to fight to put on a show."

Jackson will be facing fellow former 205-pound champion Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida this weekend in the main event of UFC 123. "Rampage" has made several public comments concerning his disdain for Machida's elusive fighting style, and he reiterated his stance thereof when speaking with Buffer.

"Much respect to him as a person," Jackson said. "As a fighter, I really don't like his fighting style. If anybody knows about me, as soon as I get in the Octagon, I come to fight. I really don't like people who fight in [Machida's] manner. How are you going to fight somebody from a distance? That is one of the things I've been working on a lot: not fighting his fight. I'm going to fight my fight. I don't care what Machida does or what he thinks he's going to do. It's all about what I'm going to do."

UFC 123: Rampage vs.Machida takes place this Saturday night at the Palace of Auburn Hills in Auburn Hills, Michigan and will feature a co-main event bout between former UFC Welterweight Champions Matt Hughes and BJ "The Prodigy" Penn.