PDA

View Full Version : Johnson: I'll cut taxes for low earners

John
11-29-2010, 07:50 AM
Shadow chancellor Alan Johnson has said his priority, if elected, would be to cut taxes for low earners.

Mr Johnson insisted there was no disagreement between him and leader Ed Miliband over the 50p top rate of income tax, even though the Labour leader has said he wants to keep it permanently while Mr Johnson has said it could eventually go.

He said: "What me and Ed agree on is that we need a 50p tax rate now, we will need it at the next general election, but we will look at it closer to the time. I would like to reduce taxes. The priority would be to reduce taxes for people on lower incomes."

Conservative Party deputy chairman Michael Fallon said Mr Johnson's comments showed that Labour remained split on a key plank of economic policy.

"Once again we have the extraordinary and damaging spectacle of the leader of the Opposition and his shadow chancellor at loggerheads," he said.

Mr Johnson backed recently announced moves to overhaul Labour's leadership election process but said he wanted to retain links with the trade unions, whose backing in the electoral college system was essential in Mr Miliband's slender victory over brother David.

Source - Yahoo News.