PDA

View Full Version : Rey: World wrestlers come to grips at Citizens Bank Arena

John
12-04-2010, 12:57 PM
Superstars from World Wrestling Entertainment are once again making a stop in the Inland Empire, this time taking over the Citizens Business Bank Arena in Ontario on Sunday.

Wrestlers from the WWE's RAW and Smackdown brands are scheduled to appear, including California native Rey Mysterio.

The high-flying star will take on Alberto Del Rio in a "Smackdown Challenge Match."

"(The WWE) is the most live and spectacular sports entertainment around," Mysterio said by phone.

"It's not just for teens or adults, or for males in general. This is entertainment for the whole family and, believe me, I've run into fans that have been watching for years and say how exciting it is, and how much they are thankful to watch me perform not only on TV, but live," he said.

Growing up in the San Diego area, Mysterio became a fan of the sport while watching the legends of both the Lucha Libre world and superstars of the WWE.

"I was a big fan of the 'Macho Man' Randy Savage, Ricky 'The Dragon' Steamboat, and Jake 'The Snake' Roberts," he said.

"For me, (the WWE) was a whole new world. Lucha Libre is very different from American wrestling and back then you had a lot of wrestlers who had a gimmick.

"I try to do that with my costumes. My attire is fresh on a weekly basis," he said.

Mysterio began his wrestling career in Tijuana, Mexico where he trained in the style of Lucha Libre.

was off working with Extreme Championship Wrestling (ECW) and made his debut in early 1996 with World Championship Wrestling (WCW).

Mysterio then made a mark in the WWE universe, making his debut in 2002 when he joined the Smackdown roster. He quickly became a fan favorite.

"I think at any time you see Rey Mysterio in a live show, you're going to get the most exciting aerial moves that can be seen in wrestling," Mysterio said.

"My intentions are always to make you jump out of your seat and enjoy yourself to the fullest.

"It's a slice of Lucha Libre with American wrestling," he said.

As far as his match-up with Del Rio on Sunday, Mysterio says that fans can expect a great fight.

"There's a lot of history there," he said. "Growing up as a kid, his father (wrestler Dos Caras) was one of my idols.

"For me, being in the ring with my idol's son and at that moment - that point - I forget about respect and I'm on attack mode."

Also scheduled to appear at the live show is current WWE Champion The Miz as he takes on Nexus leader Wade Barrett and Juan Cena, John Cena's Mexican Cousin, in a Triple Threat Match, while Kaval will take on Dolph Ziggler in a match for the Intercontinental Championship belt.

Also scheduled to appear are superstars MVP, Kofi Kingston, Santino Marella, Vladimir Kozlov, members of The Nexus, "Dashing" Cody Rhodes, Chavo Guerrero, Primo, Layla, Natalya and more.

"We are so excited to host WWE at the Citizens Business Bank Arena," said the venue's general manager Steve Eckerson. "WWE is recognized as a leader in global entertainment as a family show with PG content, and it is a pleasure to welcome them to the Inland Empire."

Source - SBSun.