PDA

View Full Version : Resident Evil 5 May Lead to Unwanted Encounters with Perverts

Travicity
12-06-2010, 04:14 PM
What would you do if you came home after a long day's work, you sit down and turn on your Xbox 360 so you can better wind down after a busy day. Maybe you want to jump into a little Netflix Instant Play so you can get caught up on old episodes of Buffy or Hoarders. Instead you're met with something far more terrifying than people who can't find the strength to throw their shit away: you find a handful of messages aimed at your 12-year-old daughter, who had recently been playing Resident Evil 5 with the sender of said messages.

http://img574.imageshack.us/img574/360/re5creepybanner.jpg

This scenario happened to a man in Nanaimo, British Columbia who contacted the police saying the messages began on Monday when his daughter was playing Resident Evil 5 with a man over Xbox Live. Alone this could be innocent enough, but it seems the conversation moved from the Xbox to his daughter's laptop and when he attempted to figure out the stranger's name the messages became perverse.

Understandably, this scared the guy, who over the next couple days will likely be implementing all of the tools in the Xbox 360's vast arsenal of parental controls to keep this from happening again. An investigation into the situation revealed the person was 22, lived across the pond and had been chatting with the man's daughter for two months.

Now, until he sent whatever it was that got the concerned dad to contact the authorities he didn't actually say anything perverse and on top of that there's no evidence he had any idea how young the girl was. With that said, this should make for just another cautionary tale to get parents who don't pay attention to their children's online shenanigans to keep a closer eye on their kids when they play online. Believe it or not, there are a few freaks out there.

On the bright side, this story could've been much, much worse; they could've been playing Versus mode.

Dead Pixels Video Game News for Good Parents

Be careful DA be careful.

Black Widow
12-06-2010, 04:44 PM
The game is rated 18 in the UK & Ireland so who to say how old the girl is and if shes under 16 why is she even online playing game with an 18s rating, the majority of people who play Resident Evil are in there 20s. her parents should know this and well to be quite honest i blame her parents :shifty:

Big Evil
12-06-2010, 05:39 PM
It is the parents' fault. They allowed her to play a mature game title, one not meant for her, and allowed her to play with others online. Many people will just assume the person they are facing with or teaming up with is someone close to their age. Sadly, a lot of parents don't care what games their kids play, whether it be Resident Evil or Call of Duty or Grand Theft Auto 4. They don't monitor their kids, and situations like this can come into play. I really blame the parents that the conversation went as far as to get on her personal computer. It may have been friendly and innocent until the father contacted this guy and led him on in order to draw a false representation of this guy and made him out to be a pervert. It only got this way because the parents allowed their daughter to play unchecked, and it can easily be avoided if parents stick to having age-appropriate games for their children.

DUKE NUKEM
12-07-2010, 06:22 PM
the game was made for adults not kids i blame the perents

Kenpachi Zaraki
12-07-2010, 06:50 PM
I bet DA was the pervert :shifty:

DA
12-12-2010, 01:09 AM
^^I have no 360... pwn...

LMAO 'Be careful DA' lol... but yeah, I agree a lot of parents are irresponsible as of late letting kids play things like this... and don't worry I ignore everyone who I don't know from somewhere. So no need to worry about me.

JohnCenaFan28
12-12-2010, 06:46 PM
How could they let the little girl play that game? It's rated like for teenagers at least but yeah, even though her parents may have let her play the game they should have been monitoring her because there are freaks out there. It's no one else's fault but the parents.