PDA

View Full Version : Gibson plea deal in drunk-driving case

OMEN
08-18-2006, 08:59 PM
http://stuff.co.nz/inl/common/imageViewer/0,1445,251522,00.jpg
Mel Gibson
MALIBU: Actor Mel Gibson was sentenced to three years on probation after he pleaded no contest to a drunk-driving charge in an incident that made world headlines for his anti-Semitic tirade.

Gibson was pulled over by Los Angeles County sheriffs deputies last month while speeding in the seaside enclave of Malibu.

The actor's attorney entered the plea on his behalf before Malibu Superior Court Judge Lawrence Mira in an agreement with prosecutors that keeps the star out of jail, said Deputy District Attorney Gina Satriano.

Gibson did not appear in court for the proceedings.

Under terms of the plea deal, Mira ordered the 50-year-old actor to attend Alcoholics Anonymous meetings five times a week for 4½ months and three AA meetings per week for the remaining 7½ months. Gibson also was ordered to enroll in an alcohol abuse programme for three months and was fined $US1300 ($NZ2050.79).

In addition, the star volunteered to make a public service announcement on the hazards of drinking and driving and volunteered to immediately enter rehab, Satriano said.

Gibson's comments the night of his arrest prompted an outcry from Jewish groups and many leading members of the entertainment industry.

Reuters

demolition89
08-19-2006, 05:49 AM
I hope to hell Mel takes rehab and the mandated AA attendance seriously, and doesn't use it as a publicity stunt and "get out of jail free" card.

I also hope the "Stalkerazzi" respect the privacy of the Treatment Facility, and especially the anonymity of the AA Meetings/ Members who are legitimately turning around their lives while recovering from a horrible, devastating disease!

Kaz
08-19-2006, 10:30 AM
I think he's managed to turn his behaviour into good publicity... Getting his face on TV for a public service announcement. Smeh

scorpionf
08-19-2006, 01:36 PM
Well, in Hollywood any publicity is good publicity... And Mel has gotten plenty of publicity over this...