PDA

View Full Version : UFC 125 Card Finalized

The Mac
12-15-2010, 01:50 AM
The fight card for the first-of-the-year "UFC 125: Resolution" event is official with 11 bouts.

MMAjunkie.com previously reported the full slate of matchups, though officials confirmed a lightweight title fight between champion Frankie Edgar and Gray Maynard will be co-headlined by middleweights Chris Leben vs. Brian Stann.

The show takes place Jan. 1 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

The night's main card airs on pay-per-view.

Currently, officials haven't announced a two-bout "UFC Prelims" special for the event, though the popular Spike TV broadcasts are expected to return in 2010, as UFC president Dana White recently confirmed with MMAjunkie.com. That could open the door for preliminary-card bouts of Marcus Davis vs. Jeremy Stephens, Josh Grispi vs. Dustin Poirier, Phil Baroni vs. Brad Tavares, or others to getting TV time before the night's PPV broadcast.

Edgar vs. Maynard obviously is the night's biggest attraction. Edgar could defend his belt for the second time while simultaneously avenging the only defeat of his career, which came to Maynard in 2008 at UFC Fight Night 13.

"I'm very excited to be fighting New Year's Day against a fighter that has a win over me," stated Edgar, who won the belt from legend B.J. Penn and then defeated him again in a rematch this year. "I'm looking forward to putting on a great show and avenging my one loss. There are still a lot of people that are doubting me, and that's fine. I've learned a lot since our last fight, and I plan on successfully defending my title."

The second billing of Leben vs. Stann may appear peculiar, but combined, they've won seven of their past eight fights with three "Fight of the Night" or "Knockout of the Night" awards in their past three outings. The winner will take a major step toward title contention.

Tickets for UFC 125 currently are on sale.

The official card now includes:

MAIN CARD

•Champ Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard (for lightweight title)
•Chris Leben vs. Brian Stann
•Thiago Silva vs. Brandon Vera
•Nate Diaz vs. Dong Hyun Kim
•Takanori Gomi vs. Clay Guida
PRELIMINARY CARD

•Marcus Davis vs. Jeremy Stephens
•Josh Grispi vs. Dustin Poirier
•Phil Baroni vs. Brad Tavares
•Mike Brown vs. Diego Nunes
•Daniel Roberts vs. Greg Soto
•Antonio McKee vs. Jacob Volkmann

Smartmark
12-15-2010, 05:25 AM
Not really the best card. Not for me anyway. A couple of good matches though. I hope Leben wins :)

The Mac
12-15-2010, 05:42 AM
really? seems a deep card to me escpecially the main card

Travicity
12-15-2010, 05:44 AM
Guida, Diaz, Edgar, Silva, Vera and Leben not a good card?

The Mac
12-15-2010, 05:51 AM
mckee, brown, baroni, its a pretty stacked card

Punisher
12-15-2010, 06:14 PM
Its a pretty damned good card, but Aldo would have made it better. And its easy to over look this card with 126 right after which is going to be the most stacked card since UFC 100

The Mac
12-15-2010, 10:08 PM
ya but the pproblem with 126 is everyone is getting hyped for it and it could be boring as hell

Punisher
12-15-2010, 10:46 PM
I think he three main events are worth the price of the whole show