PDA

View Full Version : 'Russian Spy Woman' Vows To Stay In Britain

John
12-25-2010, 01:09 PM
A former parliamentary researcher accused of spying has vowed to clear her name and remain in Britain.

Katia Zatuliveter, 25, said she was trying to find a new job to support herself after being released from an immigration centre on bail.

The Russian, who worked for Lib Dem Portsmouth South MP Mike Hancock, faces deportation next year.

Her solicitor called her situation "truly Kafkaesque" as she would be judged on secret MI5 evidence she may not be able to see.

In a statement, Zatuliveter said: "I am not working for and have never worked for the Russian intelligence services.

"I have been released from detention on bail but I am having to abide by very difficult bail conditions."

She added: "I have lost my job and am now looking for employment so that I can support myself but obviously given my situation it is very difficult.

"I do not understand why the deportation order has been made against me but I am determined to stay in the UK to fight to clear my name."

Zatuliveter began working for Mr Hancock as an intern in November 2006, soon after she arrived in Britain to study for a master's degree at Bradford University.

She was given a pass to the House of Commons and was paid £250 a month from his office expenses account, before becoming his full-time Parliamentary assistant.

The Russian was stopped at Gatwick Airport last August and then arrested earlier this month amid fears she was engaged in espionage.

The Government wants to deport her on the grounds her presence is a danger to national security.

She said she was released from Yarl's Wood immigration centre after a hearing of the Special Immigration Appeals Commission (SIAC) on Monday December 13.

The Russian can now spend Christmas with her family after agreeing to several bail conditions that ban her visiting Parliament or contacting Mr Hancock.

She must also notify Home Secretary Theresa May if she meets anyone other than her immediate family and her legal team.

Source - Yahoo News.