PDA

View Full Version : Hathaway: 'I'm not comfortable flirting'

John
12-26-2010, 08:49 PM
Anne Hathway has confessed to being scared of her latest character's open approach to sex, as she often struggles to be seductive.

The Oscar-nominated actress explained how she enjoyed fleshing out Parkinson's disease sufferer Maggie Murdock - the romantic interest of Jake Gyllenhaal in new release Love And Other Drugs - but was rather more reluctant to show her promiscuous side on screen.

She told The Guardian: "The most important thing was to make Maggie honest... she had amazing potential to be angry, funny, smart and incredibly wounded. The thought of combining all of those aspects into a character was a challenge but very exciting.

"It was the sexuality of the character [that scared me]. I'm much happier talking with people than I am flirting with them. I'm pretty shy and not entirely comfortable with the kind of attention you get when you focus on your sexual side. I was afraid that I couldn't pull off playing Maggie."

However, Hathaway also bemoaned how her breakthrough role in The Princess Diaries had resulted in an unrealistic presumption of naivety and innocence.

She explained: "The question that I dreaded answering in interviews was 'Did you always dream of being a princess?' It was frustrating because, like constantly being asked about the nudity in Love And Other Drugs, it kept the conversation at the surface. It was like talking to my grandparents - you know, 'I'm really not as young as you think but I'm going to be polite'."

Love And Other Drugs is due for release in the UK on December 29.

Source - DS.