PDA

View Full Version : McDermott 'won't watch 'Enders baby plot'

John
12-27-2010, 10:49 AM
Eastenders star Neil McDermott has revealed that he will not be watching the soap's New Year cot death storyline, as it is due to coincide with the birth of his own child.

The 30-year-old actor - whose character Ryan Malloy was central to the Christmas Day episode that saw Stacey Slater (Lacey Turner) flee Albert Square - stated that he simply wouldn't be able to watch the tragic plot while waiting to become a father.

He told the News of the World: "My family always watches EastEnders at Christmas, it's a family tradition, so I am very proud to be involved in it - and so are they.

"But I won't be watching, considering my baby is due on New Year's Day and the baby storyline goes out on New Year's Eve. I don't think my wife would be too keen to be watching over this period."

He added: "I've been told it has been done very well and with a lot of care and attention to detail. So I'm sure they'll have done a fantastic job and it will be done sensitively."

McDermott also joked that the lengths Ryan has gone to in order to protect his daughter Lily served as a good indicator of the devotion that he would lavish on his own child.

"Ryan's had to save his child from a car that was driven into a railway track and from a fire, so if I ever find myself in either of those situations then I guess I'll know what to do.

"I can tell I will be wrapped around its little finger, just like Ryan, because being a dad made him become more responsible. My job is mirroring life - they say that happens with soaps."

McDermott first discovered that his wife Michelle was expecting while filming the birth of his on-screen daughter.

Source - Yahoo.