PDA

View Full Version : Tom & Jerry in trouble for smoking scenes

OMEN
08-22-2006, 12:12 AM
http://stuff.co.nz/inl/common/imageViewer/0,1445,252049,00.jpg
BUTT OUT: Cartoon characters Tom & Jerry are in trouble for smoking on screen.
LONDON: They chase each other at high speed wielding axes and hammers. But the famous cartoon duo of Tom and Jerry are in trouble for smoking on screen.

Media regulator Ofcom received a complaint from a viewer who took offence at two episodes involving smoking.

In one, Texas Tom, the hapless cat Tom tries to impress a feline female by rolling a cigarette, lighting it and smoking it with one hand. In the other, Tennis Chumps, Tom's opponent in a match smokes a large cigar.

In a bulletin posted online, Ofcom noted "concerns that smoking on television may normalise smoking", and said that the Turner company, licensee for Boomerang which aired the cartoons, had agreed to edit some smoking scenes out of Tom and Jerry.

"The licensee has ... proposed editing any scenes or references in the series where smoking appeared to be condoned, acceptable, glamorised or where it might encourage imitation," Ofcom said, adding that Texas Tom was one such example.

But it would not cut all smoking scenes, it added.

Ofcom said it recognised smoking was more generally accepted when cartoons were produced in the 1940s, 50s and 60s, but noted that the threshold for including such scenes when the audience is predominately young should be high.

Reuters

Kaz
08-22-2006, 03:17 AM
They've been smoking for years why is it such a big deal now?

Kellie
08-22-2006, 04:26 AM
People are just taking things too far these days :rolleyes:

Dark Drakan
08-22-2006, 04:29 PM
I think this is getting abit out of control now, i imagine the way things are going that in the future say a celeb is lighting up near photographers some bodyguard will have to tackle them to the ground and stamp on it to stop them being photographed with a cigerette!

XXKSXX
08-22-2006, 04:40 PM
People are just taking things too far these days :rolleyes:

Yes they do. This is just a cartoon I watched them all the time when I was younger and don't care if they smoke.lol Its there own choice besides there just cartoons. No big deal if people want to cry just take thows parts out no problem. Not to menchion these cartoons were made many years ago and smokeing was deamed as the popular thing to do at one time so this is pretty week I think.