PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Wrestler To Have Never Won A World Title

mikedudelang
01-10-2011, 03:48 AM
For the record, I excluded Magnum T.A. and Owen Hart, as they both had their careers cut short because of tragedy. Also, I only considered the World Titles of the AWA, NWA/WCW, & the WWF/WWE. While I was always especially fond of ECW, Mid-South and WCCW, even I am forced to admit that they were truly second-tier promotions compared to the the big three.

I'm curious to hear opinions on this:

10. Christian - He may still get a run at some point but Christian has been a top performer for years without ever really getting the push he's earned.

9. Greg "The Hammer" Valentine - I guess he just came along at the wrong time because I always thought "The Hammer" would've made a great NWA Heavyweight Champion, especially when he was so over in '83 during those dog collar matches with Piper.

8. Nikita Koloff - After Magnum T.A.'s car accident, Koloff's face turn made him the hottest wrestler on the planet. He was so over it was silly.

7. Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka - Make no mistake about it, "Superfly" was ridiculously over with fans. It was long rumored that Snuka was set to get a run with the belt before Hogan showed up and took the wrestling world by storm. Roddy Piper attacking him during the Piper's Pit remains one of wrestling's most memorable moments.

6. Tully Blanchard - Tully's attitude is probably the only thing that kept him from be World Champion. A self-admitted prick back in his prime, Blanchard was, for a time, the most consistent performer in wrestling. That's saying something considering the fact he ran with the likes of Arn Anderson & Ric Flair.

5. Ted DiBiase - In his prime, "The Million Dollar Man" had white hot heat. His feud with Hogan where he tried to buy the WWF Title remains one of the best storylines in wrestling history.

4. "Mr. 1derful" Paul Orndorff - During his run in the 80's, only Piper had more heat as a heel in WWF. Great body, great manager (Bobby Heenan), Ordorff should've gotten a run with the belt.

3. "Rowdy" Roddy Piper - Piper was WWF's biggest heel in the 80's. Problem was, the WWF was not gonna even think about taking the belt off Hogan during their takeover of the wrestling world. That's really a shame because Piper would have been a great champion.

2. Rick Rude - "The Ravishing One" has it all: the body, the skills, the mic work. His run with Jake Roberts was amazing work and he was nothing short of brilliant in making Ultimate Warrior look competent in the ring.

1. Scott Hall - Mostly derailed by his own demons, Hall could have gone down as one of the greatest champions of all time. Great in-ring, great on the mic, great look, Hall had it all.

The Mac
01-10-2011, 07:35 AM
i agree with some of your picks. piper definetly deserved some kind of run as did rude and everyone here knows how much i think christian deserves it but scott hall was never over enough to get a shot, tully blanchard was a hign midcarder at best and who cares about the hammer pretty much all ur list says is that u didnt want hogan as champ that long as 7 of the ten were directly denied reigns due to hogan

mikedudelang
01-10-2011, 06:04 PM
Actually, I was a total Hogan mark. Also, which 7 are you talking about? I count 4 (Rude, DiBiase, Piper & Orndorff). Snuka deserved a run BEFORE Hogan arrived, Hall deserved a run AFTER Hogan's prime. Christian came along long after Hogan had left. Blanchard, Valentine & Koloff were in the NWA.

JohnCenaFan28
01-10-2011, 06:54 PM
I only know a few of the names you have there but I totally agree with Christian, Ted DiBiase, Piper and Scott Hall. Someone else who I think should be there is Goldust. Although I think his drug addiction and departure from WWF hampered his push to main event because he was really over as a heel and even faced HBK for the WWF Championship.

The Mac
01-10-2011, 08:39 PM
Actually, I was a total Hogan mark. Also, which 7 are you talking about? I count 4 (Rude, DiBiase, Piper & Orndorff). Snuka deserved a run BEFORE Hogan arrived, Hall deserved a run AFTER Hogan's prime. Christian came along long after Hogan had left. Blanchard, Valentine & Koloff were in the NWA.

snuka could have had one during hogans long reign, valentine was in wwf too, and hall in wcw never got a reign

mikedudelang
01-10-2011, 08:54 PM
True, but I don't think you read my description of each wrestler. Valentine was way more over in the NWA, Snuka was more over before the whole rock n' wrestling thing took off, and Hall was better suited to hold the WWF Championship strap as Razor Ramon (when he was a one man band) as opposed to the WCW strap (when he was exclusively a part of a gang).

The Mac
01-10-2011, 08:57 PM
ya but im saying snuka still deserved a reign during hulks epic one.... lotd of guys did and really only ultimate warrior and nacho man did lol

mikedudelang
01-11-2011, 01:06 AM
ya but im saying snuka still deserved a reign during hulks epic one.... lotd of guys did and really only ultimate warrior and nacho man did lol

yeah, and macho man had to wait for hogan to go make a movie to get his run (haha)!

The Mac
01-11-2011, 02:11 AM
lol

Kenpachi Zaraki
01-16-2011, 07:37 PM
only agree with Tully (he didn't win mainly because he played second fiddle to naitch and the reasons you mentioned), Hall (I'm the biggest Hall mark no qualms admitting that :shifty: ), DiBiase, Rude and Piper. Koloff I always thpught was more like a upper-midcard level guy somehow never saw the guy as a World Champion. Rest meh I watched a bit of Snuka in ECW and well I didn't like it (but then again I didn't like ECW) and rest of the guys I only saw when they were putting guys over on Nitro so yeah.

One name that should be there, ahead of Christian anyway is Mr. Perfect Curt Hennig. In fact I dunno why Christian is even there he did win the TNA title. Also everyone knew Edge was the star of that team.

Kenpachi Zaraki
01-16-2011, 07:38 PM
only agree with Tully (he didn't win mainly because he played second fiddle to naitch and the reasons you mentioned), Hall (I'm the biggest Hall mark no qualms admitting that :shifty: ), DiBiase, Rude and Piper. Koloff I always thpught was more like a upper-midcard level guy somehow never saw the guy as a World Champion. Rest meh I watched a bit of Snuka in ECW and well I didn't like it (but then again I didn't like ECW) and rest of the guys I only saw when they were putting guys over on Nitro so yeah.

One name that should be there, ahead of Christian anyway is Mr. Perfect Curt Hennig. In fact I dunno why Christian is even there he did win the TNA title. Also everyone knew Edge was the star of that team.