PDA

View Full Version : '80s Legend Shane Black Directing 'Death Note'

Travicity
01-13-2011, 09:32 PM
The last time I jumped out of my chair was when Mark Romanek was announced to be directing the pilot for "Locke & Key". This morning I nearly fell on the floor when it was announced that Shane Black - writer of '80s classics Lethal Weapon, Lethal Weapon 2 and Monster Squad, along with The Last Boy Scout and Last Action Hero, director of the hilarious Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, and star of Predator - will be helming a U.S. remake of the Japanese classic Death Note. Black will oversee a script that’s being written by Anthony Bagarozzi and Charles Mondry. The story centers on a college student who accidentally finds a misplaced "death note," infusing him with the power to kill merely by writing anyone's name on the page while picturing the person in his mind. You'll find more details inside.

Written by Tsugumi Ohba and illustrated by Takeshi Obata, Death Note was originally published in Japan and later collected in 12 trade paperbacks that have sold more than 38 million copies worldwide. The protagonist, Light, is a bright student who stumbles across a mystical notebook that has the power to kill any person whose name he writes in it. Light decides to launch a secret crusade to rid the streets of criminals. Soon, the student-turned-vigilante finds himself pursued by a famous FBI criminal profiler known only by the alias L.

Death Note is wildly popular in Japan and has been turned into live action and animated films, an animated TV series, novels and vidgames. The trio of live action films were distributed by Warner Bros Japan. Warner Bros acquired the remake rights from Shueisha and previously got a script draft from Charley and Vlas Parlapanides.

Deadline