PDA

View Full Version : 40 Participants In This Years Rumble~! and The Reason for Expansion

John
01-17-2011, 08:05 PM
Joey Styles posted the following message on Twitter this morning:

"This year, there will be 40 participants in the Royal Rumble Match instead of 30. It will be the biggest Royal Rumble Match in history!"

Source -NoDQ

------------------------------

*UPDATED* by Travis

As previously reported, it's been announced that the 2011 Royal Rumble match will feature 40 competitors instead of the usual 30. WWE Hall of Famer Jim Ross posted the following on Twitter @JRsBBQ regarding the news:

"If having 40 men in the Royal Rumble match helps sell ppvs, then its a really good idea. 40 sounds good to me. Makes the main event bigger."

"Watch what I say, the 40 man royal rumble match will be over analyzed by many. Gives 10 more paydays & adds 'biggest ever' mkt'ing hook".

After checking with a WWE source, it appears Ross' idea of selling more pay-per-views is exactly what WWE is going for by adding 10 more men to the match. With 40 men involved in the Rumble, expect the interval between each man entering the match to be reduced from 2 minutes to 60-90 seconds.

LOP

---

One of the main reasons behind WWE expanding the field of 30 participants to 40 for this year's Royal Rumble match is due to management feeling that this year's Royal Rumble had little or no monument headed in, according to Wrestling Observer Newsletter editor Dave Meltzer. The expanded field will also allow creative a chance to hide superstar's greenness and the fact that many wrestlers are clearly not over. Many wrestlers will be rushed in and out, and a larger number of eliminations by individual wrestlers are possible with an expanded field of participants.

WV

mikedudelang
01-17-2011, 08:23 PM
Oooovvvveeerrrrkkkkiiiillllll.

Marshall Mathers
01-17-2011, 08:23 PM
This could be good bu it also could be bad. it all depends on how they play it.

JohnCenaFan28
01-17-2011, 08:38 PM
Well seeing as they'd want both Nexus' in there, meaning like almost a third of the Rumble will be Nexus they need more room for other guys I suppose.

Kenpachi Zaraki
01-17-2011, 09:00 PM
makes sense a lotta guys would be left unused otherwise

Swinny
01-17-2011, 09:03 PM
Well, I'm down with the idea. Give more guys an opportunity, why not.

Smartmark
01-17-2011, 09:18 PM
Awesome idea! :)

Finally a good thing from WWE :)

John
01-17-2011, 09:19 PM
Sheamus
Morrison
Alberto
Barrett
Punk
Cena
Husky
McGillicutty
Gabriel
Slater
Zeke
Otunga
Riley
Lawler
Bourne
Danielson
DiBiase
Tyson Kidd
David Hart Smith
Cody Rhodes
Drew McIntyre
Mark Henry
Chris Masters
Trent Baretta
HHH
Kofi Kingston
Big Show
Jack Swagger
Kane
Rey Mysterio
Tyler Reks
Santino
Kozlov
Young
Primo
R-Truth
Regal
Yoshi
Ryder

There's 39 guys there.. Maybe WWE shall add Khali in or maybe Booker T shall come back (Okay, I'm hoping...).

Travicity
01-17-2011, 09:22 PM
World Wrestling Entertainment has officially confirmed on both WWE.com and their official Facebook page that this year's Royal Rumble Match has been extended from a 30-Superstar Match to a 40-Superstar Match. A Superstar will enter the match every 90 seconds, meaning that now that there are more entrants, the match will indeed be longer than 60 minutes this year.

WWE.com's Joey Styles announced the news earlier on his official Twitter page.

WNS

ArJay
01-17-2011, 09:40 PM
Sheamus
Morrison
Alberto
Barrett
Punk
Cena
Husky
McGillicutty
Gabriel
Slater
Zeke
Otunga
Riley
Lawler
Bourne
Danielson
DiBiase
Tyson Kidd
David Hart Smith
Cody Rhodes
Drew McIntyre
Mark Henry
Chris Masters
Trent Baretta
HHH
Kofi Kingston
Big Show
Jack Swagger
Kane
Rey Mysterio
Tyler Reks
Santino
Kozlov
Young
Primo
R-Truth
Regal
Yoshi
Ryder

There's 39 guys there.. Maybe WWE shall add Khali in or maybe Booker T shall come back (Okay, I'm hoping...).

Awesome Kong makes 40.

Smartmark
01-17-2011, 09:48 PM
^^ That would be awesome :D

Travicity
01-17-2011, 10:29 PM
As previously reported, it's been announced that the 2011 Royal Rumble match will feature 40 competitors instead of the usual 30. WWE Hall of Famer Jim Ross posted the following on Twitter @JRsBBQ regarding the news:

"If having 40 men in the Royal Rumble match helps sell ppvs, then its a really good idea. 40 sounds good to me. Makes the main event bigger."

"Watch what I say, the 40 man royal rumble match will be over analyzed by many. Gives 10 more paydays & adds 'biggest ever' mkt'ing hook".

After checking with a WWE source, it appears Ross' idea of selling more pay-per-views is exactly what WWE is going for by adding 10 more men to the match. With 40 men involved in the Rumble, expect the interval between each man entering the match to be reduced from 2 minutes to 60-90 seconds.

LOP

Sorry for DP but newer news.

Smartmark
01-17-2011, 10:55 PM
Thanx for the update Travis :)

I'm looking forward to the rumble actually :)

Black Widow
01-17-2011, 11:42 PM
i bet 10 will be the likes of honky tonk man, doink, the turkey lol

Travicity
01-17-2011, 11:57 PM
Legends yea :hmm:

LionDen
01-18-2011, 01:10 AM
I think this may be a good idea, it does give alot more opportunity for more superstars to be involved. The action will also be alot more quicker.

Metalitia
01-18-2011, 01:54 AM
It's interesting and I agree with the earlier poster who said it's likely so they can include both Nexus factions in full.

Does seem strange though when I was thinking the other day I can only really see a few legitimate winners and another 3-4 potential dark horses.

Cena, Punk, Sheamus, Morrison, Christian and Kane would be the six strong candidates to win it with Del Rio, McIntyre, Barrett as the dark horses.

That makes 9, 10 if HHH is involved in the match.

A full 30 others having virtually no chance of winning it.

Vick Diesel
01-18-2011, 06:27 AM
It would be awesome if Christian was able to be in it, that would be 40! Just my opinion!!

Shane McMahon's Ass
01-18-2011, 06:31 AM
I don't like change! Btw what's up with '~!'? Just askin

Travicity
01-18-2011, 06:35 AM
Think it's John's signature mark

Lot of people and more time lol :D.

HAR
01-18-2011, 06:40 AM
I like it. And someone said, I expect some legends to be invloved which is cool in my opinon.

Konan
01-18-2011, 10:58 AM
More spots just means more room to bring in silly entrants and such.

Big Evil
01-18-2011, 02:42 PM
Damn maybe they should do like WCW and use two rings... lot of bodies to fit in a standard WWE ring...

mikedudelang
01-18-2011, 03:46 PM
I guess my only issue with it is th fact that I've never been a big fan of Battle Royals. I mean, the star power aspect of it draws you to it but it rarely lives up to the hype. I mean, the thing usually doesn't get very exciting (for me, anyway) until you get down to the last 4 or 5 wrestlers.

Smartmark
01-18-2011, 03:49 PM
Damn maybe they should do like WCW and use two rings... lot of bodies to fit in a standard WWE ring...

That would be pretty awesome :D

I do hope a couple of legends and surprise entrants are in this years rumble

Travicity
01-18-2011, 04:24 PM
Would be cool if Jericho/HHH/RVD/Rock/Austin/Sting would be the surprise entrants and Kong with a Giant Gonzalez type entrance. :shifty2: