PDA

View Full Version : Redford: Second Wife a Charm

Travicity
01-22-2011, 03:19 PM
ROBERT Redford’s second wife has given him a “whole new life”.

The 74-year-old actor tied the knot with German-born artist Sibylle Szaggars, 55, two years ago and insists having a younger spouse keeps him very active.

“She’s a very special person. She’s younger than I am and European, which I like, so that’s a whole new life,” Redford told AARP The Magazine.

“I ride horses, ski, play pretty hard tennis. I still have energy. When that starts to shut down, I might start to think about age.”

The Conspirator star also admitted he feels his advancing years have made him a better director and producer because he has a greater perspective on events.

“When you get older, you learn certain life lessons,” he said. “You apply that wisdom, and suddenly you say, ‘Hey, I’ve got a new lease on this thing. So let’s go.’ ”

Robert insists he has no intention of quitting acting despite his advancing years, and still thinks he has a lot to offer on the big screen.

“There are movies I want to make,” he said. “For a long time I’ve wanted to do a thriller. I like being scared, and I like scaring. And I want to keep acting, though I think the business has concluded that I don’t want to act anymore.”

In 1959, Robert and first wife Lola suffered tragedy when their baby son Scott died from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) and he admits the couple struggled to cope with their loss.

“It was really hard. We were very young … We didn’t know anything about SIDS, so the only thing you think is that you’ve done something wrong,” he said. “As a parent, you tend to blame yourself. That creates a scar that probably never completely heals.”

SS