PDA

View Full Version : Sundance: Update; Weinstein Co. Closes 'The Details' For $7.5 Million, $10 Million

Travicity
01-26-2011, 06:36 AM
UPDATE: The Weinstein Company indeed closed this deal, and here are the details. I'm told the minimum guarantee was $7.5 million, with a P&A commitment upwards of $10 million. That makes The Details the largest minimum guarantee of the festival so far, though TWC's deal for My Idiot Brother (between $6 million-$7 million m.g.) had a larger P&A commitment, around $15 million. Summit's bid for domestic rights was between $4 million and $5 million. TWC's acquisition team of Peter Lawson, Laine Klein and David Glasser made the deal with CAA and UTA, which co-repped the picture.

EARLIER EXCLUSIVE, 6:48 PM: A marathon bargaining session is near a close, and it appears The Weinstein Company will acquire worldwide distribution rights to The Details, the Jacob Aaron Estes-directed dark comedy that stars Tobey Maguire, Elizabeth Banks, Laura Linney, Ray Liotta, Dennis Haysbert and Kerry Washington. TWC and Summit Entertainment have been battling vigorously all night, and I’m told this could end up the Sundance Film Festival’s largest deal. The film, repped by CAA and UTA, began attracting suitors right after its Monday premiere at Eccles Theater. It quickly got down to TWC and Summit Entertainment, the latter of which has focused on acquiring domestic distribution rights.

When hungry raccoons discover worms living under the sod in a young couple’s backyard, the result is a chain reaction of domestic tension, infidelity, organ donation and murder by bow and arrow. The deal could reach the level of the one Harvey Weinstein made for My Idiot Brother on Sunday, in partnership with Ron Burkle. Weinstein might have been feeling a bit bullish after The King’s Speech received a dozen Oscar nominations, including Best Picture. Both Harvey and Bob Weinstein met with the filmmakers and pursued the movie. The film's exec produced by Mickey Liddell (who acquired the Sundance title Silent House) and it's produced by Mark Gordon, Hagai Shaham and Bryan Zuriff.

DL