PDA

View Full Version : Bonnar/Griffin 2 Lives up to Hype

Just KC
08-27-2006, 10:13 PM
LAS VEGAS — The reception that was given to Forrest Griffin and Stephan Bonnar by near sellout crowd on Saturday at Mandalay Bay is the type of ovation that is only seen in a title fight, but this lightweight bout was not a championship fight but rather a rematch of one of the mixed martial art's most epic battles between two of the UFC's most popular fighters.
Once again, Griffin won the close bout, even tough it was scored a unanimous 30-27 win by all three judges, and once again, there was no let up from either fighter as they pressed the tempo for the full 15 minutes.

"I did OK tonight," Griffin said. "I felt a little sluggish; I'm ready for a rematch with Tito. - I want to improve on this fight."

Griffin came into UFC 62 determined to get back into the win column having lost his most recent bout to Tito Ortiz in UFC 59, his opponent Stephen Bonner had the same dilemma having also lost his last bout to Rashad Evans in Ultimate Fight Night 5.

Griffin was the aggressor, out punched, out kicked Bonnar in the first two minutes of the bout, but Bonnar took his licks as Griffin kept on pressing and landing solid jabs and leg kicks to end the first round Bonnar was able to land some hard punches.

Heavy hands from Griffin kept Bonnar on the defensive and three minutes into the second round Bonnar was able to connect on two straight right crosses to open a cut under Griffin's right eye. Griffin seemed unfazed and was able to land two right hands to his counterpart's chin to end the second round.

In the final round, Griffin was to pick his shots and landed some over hand rights while Bonner

attempted various spinning back kicks and punches but did not connect on any of his attempts.

"It was a good fight, it was close, I thought I won a round,"" Bonnar said. "I wanted to win this one to have a rubber match, but how about we do best-of-five."

macca06
08-30-2006, 12:24 PM
bonnar won round 2 in my eyes but griffin was a deserved winner. i hope that there will be another 3 matches as these two are great fighters

chillaxman
09-01-2006, 04:52 AM
I agree with you macca. With pretty much everything. And I shall add that Griffin looked like the better fighter. He completely controlled the fight and his punches looked crisper and tighter than Bonnar's. I think it's because Griffin's had harder fights like Tito Ortiz and is training harder than Bonnar. If you compare the first fight with the second, you can tell that Griffin has improved tenfold.

Flair Country
09-01-2006, 02:36 PM
Sounds like it was a damn good fight. If they do have a third fight, it will be the "rubber" match in my eyes. After watching it tons of times, I still think Stephan Bonnar won that first fight. As long as they keep having good fights, UFC can keep this rivalry going for awhile IMO.

Joe
09-04-2006, 09:08 PM
That fight was as good as the first, pretty even but Forrest has improved his striking and dominating the octaon and controlled the flow so he deservedly won the decision