PDA

View Full Version : TNA Offers Cage Match to Chad Ochocinco

Travicity
01-26-2011, 09:42 PM
In a smart idea, TNA issued the following press release today, which makes me believe they are planning to run Lockdown somewhere in the greater Cincinnati area:

CHAD OCHOCINCO VS. HEAD COACH MARVIN LEWIS IN A STEEL CAGE MATCH?

Total Nonstop Action (TNA) Wrestling offers to host the bout at the “Lockdown” Pay-Per-View event on Sunday, April 17

As the NFL’s Super Bowl draws near, one of the year's major football news stories has been the ongoing rivalry between Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Chad Ochocinco and his head coach, Marvin Lewis.

The ill-will between the head coach and his star player has reportedly been an ongoing issue, and now Ochocinco has challenged Lewis to put an end to their differences once and for all – not on the gridiron field of the NFL, but inside a steel cage!

On Monday, Ochocinco posted the following message to his Twitter account (twitter.com/ochocinco), responding to Adam Schefter of ESPN: "Me and Marvin Lewis in a cage match, set it up, I've earned my stripes on my helmet it's time to fight then play"

As a result, Total Nonstop Action (TNA) Wrestling has offered to host Ochocinco vs. Lewis inside a Steel Cage at their annual “Lockdown” event on April 17, which will air live on Pay-Per-View!

“Lockdown” features every match contested inside a 15-foot reinforced steel cage, making it the only all-steel cage Pay-Per-View event in professional wrestling.

If Ochocinco and Lewis agree to settle their differences, TNA Wrestling officials will work with their representatives to sanction the bout, as well as train both combatants in the weeks leading up to the match.

Total Nonstop Action (TNA) Wrestling is the world’s most innovative experience in professional wrestling, airing in over 120 countries worldwide. Join Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair, Rob Van Dam, “The Phenomenal” AJ Styles, Jeff Hardy, Olympic Gold Medallist Kurt Angle, Jeff Jarrett, Mr. Anderson, the lovely and lethal TNA Knockouts and the no-limits X-Division every Thursday at 9/8 on SpikeTV in the United States. For more information, visit www.tnawrestling.com

PWI

jedi71
01-26-2011, 09:44 PM
yeah umm how about no.

mikedudelang
01-26-2011, 09:58 PM
This is funny. I hope it happens. This is the type thing that gave the WWF that extra push into the news back in the 80's. It's the sort of that that, despite being completely silly in every way, could get TNA some extra attention. If TNA is smart, they'll have their wrestlers with Twitter accounts begin to barrage OchoCinco's account w/ messages.

Metalitia
01-27-2011, 02:37 AM
I have no interest in seeing this currently.

Vick Diesel
01-27-2011, 05:28 AM
I honestly think this is one of the worst ideas I've ever heard TNA try to come up with, except the one where they brought both Hardy boys back into the fold! lol

Smartmark
01-27-2011, 06:48 AM
^^ I actually think it's a good idea. And please, no more Hardyz Hate Vicki :(

Travicity
01-27-2011, 11:13 PM
As I suspected yesterday, TNA issued the press release offering Chad Ochocinco a Steel Cage match yesterday because the current plan is to run the Lockdown PPV this April in Cincinnati, Ohio. We've heard from numerous sources since yesterday that the venue will be officially announced next month.

There are plans to do a Fan InterAction event that weekend as well.

Pretty shrewd way to start building interest in the market as well as online, since they've gotten some attention from the offer.

PWI

Vick Diesel
01-28-2011, 04:24 AM
SM, I'm a huge TNA fan...sorry what happens on a football field should be kept on the football field, and not aired out or dealt with in a pro wrestling ring! No-one outside of Cincinnati Ohio could give two cents about Ochocinco or his coach! It's a very bad idea to bring them in for a steel cage match, since neither of them one have any experience in a wrestling ring, much less a steel cage match! just my opinion!

Also due to me being a huge TNA fan, I feel that I have a right to say how I feel about certain wrestlers, those wrestlers include both of the Hardy Boys! Both of them, need serious help with their current drug addictions, they should be focused on getting the help they need, (Jeff) needs to be more concerned with taking care of his legal problems, and then once all of that is cleared up, then and only then should they be allowed to wrestle in TNA! Just being as honest and real as I possibly can be!

Swinny
01-28-2011, 04:28 AM
SM, I'm a huge TNA fan...sorry what happens on a football field should be kept on the football field, and not aired out or dealt with in a pro wrestling ring! No-one outside of Cincinnati Ohio could give two cents about Ochocinco or his coach! It's a very bad idea to bring them in for a steel cage match, since neither of them one have any experience in a wrestling ring, much less a steel cage match! just my opinion!

Also due to me being a huge TNA fan, I feel that I have a right to say how I feel about certain wrestlers, those wrestlers include the both Hardy Boys...both of them, need serious help with their current drug addictions, they should be focused on getting the help, taking care of the legal problems, and then once all of that is cleared up, then and only then should they be allowed to wrestle in TNA!

For the record, despite his many obvious issues, there is nothing to suggest that Matt Hardy has a drug problem of any sort.

But... about the Ochocinco thing, it just sounds pointless to me. The last time TNA brought in a football player they gave him one half of the tag titles and... that didn't work out too well.

Vick Diesel
01-28-2011, 04:42 AM
In past history, whenever one brother is involved w/drugs the other one is to....just saying lets just say from my own fam experience, Matt was more than likely not w/Jeff the night he got pulled over, however, Jeff had to have outside help from someone and as close as they are, I can see that being the case...just my opinion, not a fact lol

Swinny
01-28-2011, 04:46 AM
In past history, whenever one brother is involved w/drugs the other one is to....just saying lets just say from my own fam experience, Matt was more than likely not w/Jeff the night he got pulled over, however, Jeff had to have outside help from someone and as close as they are, I can see that being the case...just my opinion, not a fact lol

That's a ridiculous assumption. Matt might be involved with it to some degree, it's hard to say (I doubt he was sober when he made half of those ridiculous YouTube videos) but to say that when one brother is involved with drugs the other must be too is pretty ludicrous. I know of several cases where that couldn't be more untrue.

Vick Diesel
01-28-2011, 05:07 AM
I have three brothers on my birth-mothers side all three of them were involved in the same drug ring, all three of them got caught at the same time, all three of them did time in upstate PA...I have two boys who are brothers in my neighborhood, and both of them are involved with drugs as well! Just saying

Swinny
01-28-2011, 05:11 AM
So... based on two families, all brothers must be involved in drugs together? I know it happens, people want to be involved with someone they trust when it comes to drugs and so that's why there are brothers that get involved in drug dealer together, but is be no means a standard and there's no reason to assume, just because Jeff enjoys his illegal narcotics, that Matt does that same, or to assume the same with any other pair of brothers.

Kenpachi Zaraki
01-28-2011, 05:24 AM
I don't know who this guy is but if he's a big name it might work provided they don't mess it up and give him the titles like that Pacman Jones guy. WCW did it with Mongo Mcmichael, Kevin Green, Rodman and Malone if this guy is as big as Rodman/Malone there's no reason for it not to work

Slayer_X
01-28-2011, 08:01 AM
I don't know who this guy is but if he's a big name it might work provided they don't mess it up and give him the titles like that Pacman Jones guy. WCW did it with Mongo Mcmichael, Kevin Green, Rodman and Malone if this guy is as big as Rodman/Malone there's no reason for it not to work

lets not forget that bum goldberg

Kenpachi Zaraki
01-28-2011, 08:16 AM
yeah but Goldberg was a full-time deal

mikedudelang
01-28-2011, 04:08 PM
Anyone who can get more than 28 people to buy TNA's PPV is worth trying to get. Love him or hate him, OchoCinco has a polarizing effect on football fans and might well be perfect for a one-shot deal. I mean, it worked for WWE w/ Lawrence Taylor. He was the same sort of character, you either loved him or hated him but you definitely had an opinion.

Vick Diesel
01-29-2011, 02:19 AM
Ochocinco...is not that big of a deal, now if TN brought in someone like Troy Polamalu...he would be a bigger draw than Ochocinco, who I doubt many football fans have heard of lol

Metalitia
01-29-2011, 03:34 AM
I'd argue that it'd largely be polarising in opinion not so much over who would win between him and his coach but from a wider TNA fans point of view, polarising in who firstly knows who these guys are and secondly who gives a shit.

Not to cause issues between various countries etc but doesn't TNA draw a higher regular viewing figure form the UK than it does in the States?

If they're gonna go down the route of bringing in a sports star they should go with someone who's much more well known whom those not into NFL would still likely have heard at least in passing. Manning, Favre etc.

Having said that though it seems like it's more to get bums on seats in the arena rather than as a draw to the international PPV figures so in that regards I guess it makes a bit more sense.

Still not keen on the idea though personally.

Vick Diesel
01-29-2011, 04:55 AM
Not to cause issues between various countries etc but doesn't TNA draw a higher regular viewing figure form the UK than it does in the States?

I'm not sure about that due to the UK watching it like two day after the US fans have already seen it...now I could see TNA bringing in someone from Manchester United for the UK fans, but then you'd have the US fans going who the hell is that? I do however, see what you're saying and where you're coming from... and even though I'm from the US I could give two shits about Ochocinco and his coach going head to head in a steel cage match!

Kenpachi Zaraki
01-29-2011, 05:23 AM
I'd argue that it'd largely be polarising in opinion not so much over who would win between him and his coach but from a wider TNA fans point of view, polarising in who firstly knows who these guys are and secondly who gives a shit.

If they're gonna go down the route of bringing in a sports star they should go with someone who's much more well known whom those not into NFL would still likely have heard at least in passing. Manning, Favre etc.

Having said that though it seems like it's more to get bums on seats in the arena rather than as a draw to the international PPV figures so in that regards I guess it makes a bit more sense.

Still not keen on the idea though personally.

yeah but Americans buy Pay per View :shifty:

mikedudelang
01-29-2011, 05:36 AM
Here's the thing: I can dig where people are coming from with regards to TNA seemingly concentrating more on the U.S. market with this move. However, I'd argue that they try and bring in someone like OchoCinco BECAUSE their overseas market is stronger. I mean, TNA needs to do something to make their U.S. presence as strong. Now granted, OchoCinco probably isn't the guy to do that but I like that TNA is at least TRYING to get semi-relevant pop culture figures on their show to draw a bit more interest to their product.

Besides, OchoCinco has a great 'look', is athletic as hell and would be great on the mic. If he truly decided at some point to give wrestling a go, I think he'd be pretty good.

http://swoonworthy.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/chadochocinco_twitter1-e1288143055494.jpg

Vick Diesel
01-29-2011, 05:44 AM
[QUOTE=mikedudelang]Besides, OchoCinco has a great 'look', is athletic as hell and would be great on the mic. If he truly decided at some point to give wrestling a go, I think he'd be pretty good.[/COLOR]

Troy Palamalu has a even better look than Ochocinco, and would make a far better wrestler than Ochocinco!

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=472221813865&id=10f3cc6f18f754773 b8c002e9aa9a113&index=ch1

mikedudelang
01-29-2011, 06:11 AM
'cept Polamalu talks like a girl :P

Vick Diesel
01-29-2011, 06:21 AM
'cept Polamalu talks like a girl :P

I bet you wouldn't say that to his face...if you did I'd love to be a fly on the wall :P

mikedudelang
01-29-2011, 06:40 AM
I would say it to his face. Then he'd whip my ass :P

Vick Diesel
01-29-2011, 06:55 AM
I would say it to his face. Then he'd whip my ass :P

Sure nough! lol :P