PDA

View Full Version : NFL:Collins finds a home with Titans

OMEN
08-29-2006, 10:23 AM
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/football/nfl/specials/preview/2006/08/28/titans.collins.ap/t1_collins2.jpg
Tennessee's signing Kerry Collins did not make a happy man of expected Titans starting quarterback Billy Volek
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- The Tennessee Titans signed veteran quarterback Kerry Collins on Monday, finally deciding they need more experience after trading Steve McNair.

Coach Jeff Fisher said Collins already met with offensive coordinator Norm Chow for about an hour and would be in practice Tuesday. Fisher said Billy Volek remains the starter, with rookie Vince Young backing him up while Collins learns the offense.

"Billy's got some competition," Fisher said. "I've spoken with Billy. Billy's not too awfully pleased with it. But that's life in the National Football League."

Fisher said the Titans have been talking with Collins for a while. He likes the 6-foot-5 quarterback's ability to pick up an offense, his strong arm, legs, vision, and ability to move around in the pocket.

The Titans are 0-3 this preseason and finally decided they needed more competition at the quarterback spot.

The 6-2 Volek is a six-year veteran who has only 10 career starts. He has thrown for just 277 yards through three exhibitions and completed only 52.5 percent of his passes. Then there's Young and Matt Mauck, who has only a year's experience.

The only quarterback not affected by the signing is Young.

Fisher said he could see both Volek and Collins on the final roster or Mauck still around. He cautioned that the worst thing for players would be talking about what could happen.

"This is not an indication we've jumped into any panic mode," Fisher said.

Collins went 7-21 as the starter in Oakland the past two years, but became a salary cap casualty, saving the Raiders $9.2 million. He completed 302 passes for 3,759 yards in 2005 and 20 touchdowns, but was sacked 39 times and threw 12 interceptions.

"This is a team that I feel I can contribute to and make an impact in," Collins said. "I've had opportunities to go different places. This was the one that I've really been targeting. I'm just glad it worked out."

The 11-year veteran has started 145 of 152 games and played for Carolina, New Orleans, the New York Giants and Raiders. He has thrown for 33,637 yards, 173 touchdowns and 166 interceptions in a career that includes leading Carolina and the Giants to NFC championship games. He lost to Baltimore in the 2001 Super Bowl with the Giants.

Collins said he had been working out on his own in North Carolina and will be at practice Tuesday morning, concentrating on learning the offense as quickly as possible.

But the addition can only create tension in a position that had been quiet since the Titans traded McNair to Baltimore in June.

Volek was chosen the starter at that time, and he said Monday he understands the game is a business.

"It's mine to lose, and even though we're not putting a lot of points on the board ... I feel comfortable with this," Volek said.

His agent is Drew Rosenhaus, who floated the idea of the Titans trading Volek during the 2005 preseason. Volek said he would be talking with his agent and that he would tell Rosenhaus if he wants to be traded in the future.

For now, Volek is concentrating on football.

"Right now, I like this place. We're still going through some growing pains with the offense. We've only had a year under our belt ... " Volek said.

Both Collins and Volek agreed the competition will be good.

"It's going to make us a better team whoever comes out the other end of it," Collins said. "I know it's tough. I've been in the situation myself. We do have to be professional. I think we can work together."

Associated Press