PDA

View Full Version : Michael J Fox Honoured

Travicity
02-08-2011, 03:47 PM
MICHAEL J. Fox was honored with a lifetime achievement prize at the Golden Camera Awards on Saturday.

The Back to the Future star — who has been battling Parkinson’s disease since 1991 — was presented with the prestigious honor for both his on screen roles and his work with the Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson’s Research charity by Danny DeVito at the ceremony in Berlin.

The Twins star — who received the same accolade last year — praised Michael before handing him his statuette, describing him as another one of Hollywood’s “short, good-looking guys” and heralded his bravery in the way he has dealt with his illness.

“It was such a shock to hear he had Parkinson’s,” he added. “It would have devastated most people but he took it as a challenge and approached it with the enthusiasm and passion of a great actor.”

After collecting his award to a standing ovation, Michael, 49, said, “I’m truly humbled … I remember back in 1985 getting an award for best newcomer. Now I’m up on stage with Danny DeVito as one of the old timers.”

Other winners on the night included Renee Zellweger who received the Best International Actress gong and John Travolta who went home with the award for Best International Actor.

The 56-year-old star was handed his trophy by Bee Gees star Robin Gibb – who co-wrote the soundtrack to one of his best-known films Saturday Night Fever – and delivered some of his acceptance speech in German.

Late German producer Bernd Eichinger — who died suddenly last month — received a posthumous Golden Camera statuette in recognition of his life’s work, which includes The Baader Meinhof Complex and The Name of the Rose.

The ceremony is hosted by German listings magazine Horzu and the winners are selected by a jury of Horzu journalists and German entertainment industry professionals.