PDA

View Full Version : Ted Allen Memorial Show in Virginia Results

Travicity
02-14-2011, 03:45 PM
“Nightmare to Remember” at the Bay Springs Middle School in Villa Rica, Georgia afforded 650 fans and fellow professionals to pay tribute to “Nightmare” Ted Allen, a man regarded as an iconic figure on the Georgia wrestling scene, whose sudden death six month ago sent shock waves through the Georgia wresting community. Allen was still an active competitor, a leader by example for the younger generation of wrestlers, a mentor to one man in particular, Kyle Matthews and a soul mate to his fiancée, Karen.

The evening wasn’t about the outcome of the matches, although the show produced two stellar bouts. The performers, young and old, were there to honor a special human being in the best way they knew how – inside the squared circle, and for that I commend them, as did all those in attendance.

The first of three ring announcers, Mark Grason turned to proceedings over to Ben Masters (former Peach State Wrestling promoter and currently a TV announcer for Rampage Pro Wrestling).

Bobby Simmons (long time GCW employee and referee) and Georgia legend “Dirty White Boy” Jimmy Powell opened the show with a 10 bell salute to Allen. Powell said that the ultimate compliment to a wrestler is buying a ticket to see him perform. This was followed by a prayer. The two men, both ordained ministers, presided at the memorial service for Allen last August.

(1) George South won a 20 man Battle Royale in 16:05. This was rumble style with wrestlers entering at variable intervals. Participants included J.W. Christian, Doc Heyward, Brad Lynch, Pretty Boy Floyd, Al Horne, Seth Cruise, Shaun Banks, T.J. Gray, Jay Clinton, Ken Timbs Jr., Sal Rinauro, Epic Grant, Keith Steinborn, Bobby Wilson, Jake Manning, Inmate Spike, Great Yugo (Buddy Burke) and Nightmare #2 (Billy Starr). It came down to South and Grant, with the crowd pulling for Grant, who was Allen’s final trainee. Grant tossed South over the top but made the rookie mistake of celebrating prematurely. South managed to stay on the apron and come from behind Grant to give him the heave ho. I thought Grant would surely go over here.

(2) Team Extreme (Terry Lawler & Air Paris with CC Devlin) Tennessee Bad Boys (David Young & Bobby Hayes) in 13:30. To say the Badd Boys couldn’t get untracked would be putting it mildly. Their heavy duty whining and complaining drew a “crybaby” chant, though the match was mostly crowd adoration for Lawler, who was the driving force behind this event. After a ref bump, Young spinebustered Lawler, and there was nobody there to count the fall. Paris then hit a tornado DDT on Young for the win.

The carping by Badd Boys continued after the match until referee Spanky Emerson decked both of them with punches.

Dave Wills introduced the legends in attendance – “Cowboy” Bob Kelly, Joyce Grable, Doug Somers, Brad Armstrong, Keith Steinborn, Charlie Smith, Curtis Smith (one half of the masked Infernos managed by JC Dykes in the 70s), Sergeant Buddy Parker and Gene Lavelle.

Kelly said if there ever was a big man, Allen was a big man. He talked about Allen’s role in the Gulf Coast Wrestling Reunions. Although, Allen never worked that territory, once he started coming to the reunions, he never missed a year. Kelly explained that Allen originated the Sunshine Jar, although at the time, nobody knew it. The money in the jar went to help those that were short on funds to be able to attend the reunions. Kelly said Allen dropped money in it every time he went by it.

He helped people come all the time when he was alive. We’re going to see to it that Ted helps them when he’s gone. We’re going to name that jar, the Ted Allen Sunshine Jar…Ted is one of us, and we love him very much.

CC Devlin, a former wrestler and the brother of Ted’ fiancée, Karen, presented a series of plaques. The first went to Matthews for all he had done for Karen (Matthews referred to Karen and Ted as his wrestling parents). Karen, her family, and Ted’s mother were all seated at ringside. The next award went to Terry Lawler for making the event possible.

Devlin explained that he wrestled his last match seven years ago and Karen was in attendance for the occasion. Ted was on the card and noticed that Karen was there. Ted and Karen had attended Cass High School together in Cartersville. Devlin offered Ted her phone number. Ted called Karen a few days later, and from that day forward, he became a part of their family. Devlin called Karen into the ring and presented her with a plaque “To Karen, the woman behind the mask.” This was an emotionally charged moment for both of them. Karen hugged CC and Kyle and then addressed the crowd.

One thing I would tell everybody here is don’t ever take one day for granted. Because you could leave home one morning with everything perfectly fine in your world, and then when you come home, that whole world has just crumbled. I would tell you just to take all the time you need with that special person, if it’s your parent, if it’s your friend, if it’s your family, don’t ever take it for granted

Karen said that second to her daughter coming into her life, Ted was the greatest thing that ever happened to her. Karen said that she lost her mother twelve years ago, and Ted’s mother became her mother. She thanked her dad and the rest of her family, who were all seated at ringside. “Just know that I loved that man. I never believed in soul mates until I met him, but it’s true.” A huge standing ovation ensued.

The final award went to Ted’s mother, Helen – “To the woman that started it all, thank you for sharing your son with us.” Helen said she was honored to have Ted as her son, but she was also honored to present to honor “Nightmare” Ted Allen.

(3) Sal Rinauro & Billy Knight & The Patriot beat Jimmy Rave & Sergeant Buddy Parker & Jamie Holmes in 10:45. With Rave leading the way, this match was more about hatred for the heels. They got heat on Rinauro. Knight took the hot tag and pinned Rave with a flying body press.

(4) Bambi & Lee Thomas beat Peggy Lee Leathers & Todd Zane (with Joyce Grable) in 18 minutes. Grable, 58, was sensational as a heel manager. Her performance was one of the highlights of the evening. Grable got heat coming down the heel, hit the ring ready to kick butts and take names, and never let up. One of the major league organizations needs to hire this woman to teach their female performers about the finer points of the art form. The heel side couldn’t get anything going. Leathers was kissed and spanked by Thomas. They did the spot where the heels took turns pumphandling Bambi’s arm, which ended with Grable unknowingly cranking away on Leathers. Grable’s facial expressions were off the charts. Finish saw Bambi and Thomas stack Grable and company up in the middle of the ring and pile on top. They could have accomplished the same thing in less time, but an entertaining match nevertheless.

(5) Chip Day won an 8 man elimination match in 18:40 by pinning Frankie Valentine. This was the show stealer – a match where the intense level of the action was such that the crowd couldn’t help but to be drawn into it. The other participants were Exotic Ones (Simon Sermon & Rick Michaels), Thunder & Lightning (Chris Ganz & Chris Lightning), Stupid (with Tweety) and Josh Storm. They opened with quadruple timing spots, then an 8 man tower of doom with Day taking the big bump. Thunder & Lightning eliminated Exotics with stereo sunset flips from the top. Storm got a big pop for a top rope huracanrana that eliminated Stupid. Valentine took care of Storm. Day dropped Lightning on his head. It looked scary. Valentine and Day absolutely tore the house down in the closing minutes with stiff strikes and great near falls. Both of these guys just keep getting better. Day’s chest was a mass of welts afterwards. Day finally got the pin with flying double knees.

(6) Kyle Matthews beat Brad Armstrong in 12:50. They did a 70s-80s 100% scientific style match, much like the final match Matthews’ had with Allen last summer. Beautifully executed and the crowd hung with it, which was a great thing to see, since was something modern fans don’t have the patience for under normal circumstances. Armstrong started getting rough with Matthews. In this match that meant a forearm to the back and a kneelift. When Matthews got an O’Connor roll, the force of Armstrong’s kick out sent Mattthews into the turnbuckles like he was shot out of a cannon. Moments later, Matthews connected with the Slurpee Kick (think Austin Aries’ IED and every bit as good) and cradled Armstrong for the three.

Matthews thanked Armstrong and raised his hand. He thanked all the legends in attendance for making it possible for his generation of wrestlers to have a chance to wrestle. Matthews then gave a brief heartfelt remembrance of his mentor. Matthews said that when he met Allen at age 19, he thought he knew a lot about wrestling, but in a few minutes, he knew he was wrong. “So Ted, tonight’s for you my friend. I want to say thank you. Not only for me, but for everyone you ever touched. I want say thank you, I miss you, and I love you, sir.”

(7) Original Bad Company (Steve Lawler & John Michaels with Nightmare #2) beat Joel Deaton & Mr. Atlanta in a Villa Rica Street Fight in 8:40. This was billed as an SCW classic match and would have been hot stuff for that North Georgia promotion around 1988. Allen was the third member of Bad Company. They later turned on him. Deaton said he loved Allen like a brother. Said he had been wrestling 33 years and had won 25 championships. He offered to give Atlanta (Tony Zane) the night off due to his recent hip replacement. Zane declined. They brawled all over the place. Atlanta pulled out brass knucks and Lawler was busted open. They brawled in the ringside area, the only outside action all night long. Deaton gave Michaels a piledriver on the floor. Lawler whacked Atlanta on the hip with a chairshot. Yikes. Not sure how it happened but Atlanta ended up with a knot on his elbow much larger than a golf ball. One of the sickest things I’ve seen. While Deaton and Atlanta were posing in the ring like they had the match won, Bad Company put on Nightmare masks and launched a surprise attack. Scrappy McGowan got bumped. Deaton bulldogged Michaels but no ref to count. The masked men pulled the switcheroo and Lawler rolled Deaton up with a handful of tights. The show had been going four hours at this point, so the crowd was well past peak. I suspect that the majority of fans were unfamiliar with these guys or their significance in Allen’s story.

NOTES: Others notable in the house included former Scott Hudson and Steven Prazak (their first wrestling gig was announcing for North Georgia Wrestling) Peachstate Wrestling Alliance promoter Shane Noles, Grady Odom (Macon area promoter who owns the rights to the Georgia Championship Wresting name), Mike Norris (cohost of Peach State Pandemonium on GWH radio along with Simmons and Jerry Oates, Fred Avery (1/2 of the PYT’s in the 90s), Mike Golden, 80s’ wrestler Hacksaw Higgins, promoter (NAWA and Purks)/manager Phil Hefner and PCW promoter Stephen Platinum, Bulldog Raines and Lamar Philips. My apologies to those I failed to mention…Dan Masters taped backstage interviews with Kelly, Armstrong and Somers…Big Wood was scheduled to be part of the 6 man tag. He couldn’t wrestle but was in the building despite having kidney stones…11 Alive TV in Atlanta ran footage from the event on their Saturday night news. To view it click here]…Wills aka “The Crying Wrestling Fan” will make an appearance on Comedy Central’s Tosh.0 show on February 15 at 10pm…Masters is running a benefit show for Susan Meeks on April 9 in Douglasville, Ga at Fellowship Christian Ministries. Meeks worked in the office for Dusty Rhodes’ Turnbuckle Championship Wrestling and is currently battling cancer. Steve Corino vs. Glacier and an appearance by Thunderbolt Patterson are confirmed for that show…The “Will Grason Birthday Bash” will take place at the same venue on March 9. It’s a benefit show in honor of Mark’s son, Will, who was a tremendous wrestling fan and died tragically in a swimming accident last summer. X-Pac is scheduled to appear…The other referees were Scrappy’s son, Jeff McGowan and Stanley Robinson…Wills sidekick on The Dave and Danger Show, Mark Danger handled the sound system.

PWI