PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Lawler's Mother Dies (*UPDATE* Lawler's comments)

Travicity
02-14-2011, 04:51 PM
We are sad to report that we have received confirmation that Jerry Lawler's mother Hazel passed away, I believe yesterday. I was told that Jerry is dealing with the situation in Memphis and I would tend to think that would mean he would not be at tonight's Raw in Anaheim, CA.

We want to send along our deepest sympathies to the family during this trying time.

PWI

--------------------------------------

*UPDATE*

ANAHEIM, Calif. – Jerry “The King” Lawler will not be at Raw tonight because his mother, Hazel, passed away Monday at the age of 90. She had been suffering from Alzheimer’s Disease for eight years.

WWE.com’s Joey Styles spoke with the WWE Hall of Famer earlier today.

“Three years ago, we had no choice but to put her in a nursing home for people suffering from Alzheimer’s Disease. The home was in Water Valley, Miss., where her brother, Larry, lives and is about 100 miles from my home in Memphis,” Lawler explained.

“I visited her every week. Her physical health has always been good, but she had no more short-term memory. Luckily, she always recognized me and my brother, Larry,” he said.

“About a month ago, her physical health started to deteriorate. I got the call telling me she passed away on Sunday morning.

“I feel like I’m letting people down by not being at Raw tonight, but there is just so much to do for her final arrangements.”

“The King” shared some special memories with WWE.com about his mother’s relationship to the business her son has thrived in for decades.

“My mom worked for us at Memphis Wrestling for 15 years, selling advance tickets at the Mid South Coliseum box office three days a week. My mom was a typical mom in that she thought wrestling was too dangerous,” he said. “She sold tickets to my matches, but she couldn’t bear to watch them. She was always happy for my success though. It’s true what they say – nobody ever loves you like your mother.”

Lawler also revealed the passing of his mother would be on his mind this Sunday.

“There’s no way you can put the loss of your mother out of your mind. I thought about my mother all the time. I’ll definitely be thinking of her on Sunday when I wrestle The Miz for the WWE Championship. This will be one last opportunity to make her proud of my career.”

WWE.com

JohnCenaFan28
02-14-2011, 05:18 PM
That's awful, he's about to win the WWE Championship/have his first match at WM and she can't see him... must be so sad. RiP.

Konan
02-14-2011, 06:28 PM
RIP Mother of the King

Smartmark
02-14-2011, 06:51 PM
I say; GIVE JERRY THE WWE TITLE AT ELIMINATION CHAMBER!

RIP :(

Bubala
02-14-2011, 07:00 PM
I say; GIVE JERRY THE WWE TITLE AT ELIMINATION CHAMBER!

RIP :(
My deepest sympathies to Lawler and his family. And yeah I'm with Smartmark let him win it!!!

Swinny
02-14-2011, 07:04 PM
Yeah, it really wouldn't surprise me if they give him the title now and have him dedicate it to his mother and all that. R.I.P.

Bubala
02-14-2011, 07:16 PM
What I really hope is that they won't let Miz or Michael Cole say anything about this situation, like that time Orton said Eddie was in hell. That was offensive even to me.

Kenpachi Zaraki
02-14-2011, 08:16 PM
What I really hope is that they won't let Miz or Michael Cole say anything about this situation, like that time Orton said Eddie was in hell. That was offensive even to me.

that probably won't happen. Even Orton was pissed about the Eddy thing. As for giving him the title nah that ain't happening

Smartmark
02-14-2011, 09:20 PM
^^ It might happen. Let Lawler win the WWE Title at Elimination Chamber, then let Riley or Cole or both cost him the title at RAW the next day

superluke
02-14-2011, 09:46 PM
thats just sad real sorry to hear that our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family

Kenpachi Zaraki
02-15-2011, 05:36 AM
^^ It might happen. Let Lawler win the WWE Title at Elimination Chamber, then let Riley or Cole or both cost him the title at RAW the next day

I was talking about them making fun of Lawler's mother. That title scenario which you suggested might work tho will be a nice surprise too since non one expects King to win

Travicity
02-15-2011, 06:23 AM
Hey SM I said they should do that :P.

Metalitia
02-15-2011, 10:46 AM
RIP and I'm sorry for Lawler like but they shouldn't give him the title because of this.

Only way he should win is if they already had it planned. If they were to change it because of this then that would be cheap and probably be a pretty hollow victory.

He's competing for the title and will likely have a match at Wrestlemania. The outcome of matches to an extent in the pro wrestling world isn't that important as far as respect and pride goes, for someone of Lawlers calibre in particular.

I'm sure he'll dedicate the match itself and following Wrestlemania match to his mother at least privately and that would be gesture enough.

Metalitia
02-15-2011, 10:47 AM
RIP and I'm sorry for Lawler like but they shouldn't give him the title because of this.

Only way he should win is if they already had it planned. If they were to change it because of this then that would be cheap and probably be a pretty hollow victory.

He's competing for the title and will likely have a match at Wrestlemania. The outcome of matches to an extent in the pro wrestling world isn't that important as far as respect and pride goes, for someone of Lawlers calibre in particular.

I'm sure he'll dedicate the match itself and following Wrestlemania match to his mother at least privately and that would be gesture enough.

LionDen
02-16-2011, 12:23 AM
A very sad moment indeed. I made a note on UOWForums FB page but thought I would say it here also:

We at UOWForums would like to send our condolences and best wishes out to Jerry Lawler and his family at this time of tragedy.

LionDen
02-16-2011, 12:39 AM
*UPDATE*

ANAHEIM, Calif. – Jerry “The King” Lawler will not be at Raw tonight because his mother, Hazel, passed away Monday at the age of 90. She had been suffering from Alzheimer’s Disease for eight years.

WWE.com’s Joey Styles spoke with the WWE Hall of Famer earlier today.

“Three years ago, we had no choice but to put her in a nursing home for people suffering from Alzheimer’s Disease. The home was in Water Valley, Miss., where her brother, Larry, lives and is about 100 miles from my home in Memphis,” Lawler explained.

“I visited her every week. Her physical health has always been good, but she had no more short-term memory. Luckily, she always recognized me and my brother, Larry,” he said.

“About a month ago, her physical health started to deteriorate. I got the call telling me she passed away on Sunday morning.

“I feel like I’m letting people down by not being at Raw tonight, but there is just so much to do for her final arrangements.”

“The King” shared some special memories with WWE.com about his mother’s relationship to the business her son has thrived in for decades.

“My mom worked for us at Memphis Wrestling for 15 years, selling advance tickets at the Mid South Coliseum box office three days a week. My mom was a typical mom in that she thought wrestling was too dangerous,” he said. “She sold tickets to my matches, but she couldn’t bear to watch them. She was always happy for my success though. It’s true what they say – nobody ever loves you like your mother.”

Lawler also revealed the passing of his mother would be on his mind this Sunday.

“There’s no way you can put the loss of your mother out of your mind. I thought about my mother all the time. I’ll definitely be thinking of her on Sunday when I wrestle The Miz for the WWE Championship. This will be one last opportunity to make her proud of my career.”

WWE.com