View Full Version : Eliot Marshall returns, steps in to meet Luiz Cane at UFC 128

Travicity
02-24-2011, 02:48 PM
"The Ultimate Fighter 8" cast member Eliot Marshall will get a chance at redemption on short notice.

Sources close to the event today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that Marshall (8-2 MMA, 3-1 UFC) has verbally accepted a fight with Luiz Cane (10-3 MMA, 3-3 UFC) at UFC 128 in the wake of Karlos Vemola's injury withdrawal. Tatame first reported the change.

UFC 128 is slated for March 19 at the Prudential Center in Newwark, N.J.

Light-heavyweight champion Mauricio "Shogun" Rua defends his title for the first time against Jon Jones, a late-notice replacement for the injured Rashad Evans, in the headliner.

As MMAjunkie.com reported Tuesday, Vemola vs. Cane was scheduled to air on a Spike TV "UFC Prelims" special. It's unknown whether the recent change will shuffle the deck of televised bouts.

Following his appearance on "TUF 8," Marshall built a three-fight win streak over fighters such as Jules Bruchez, Vinny Magalhaes and Jason Brilz. But a lackluster decision loss to one-time light-heavyweight contender Vladimir Matyushenko signaled his exit from the UFC, and the sudden reversal in fortune put him on a mission to work his way back.

"For sure, I'm going to get back in the UFC," he told MMAjunkie.com following his release in March 2010. "I'm going to collect a couple wins. ... I'm going to fight again as soon as possible.

"I'm going to get right back at it, train, fight hopefully in June, fight in July or August, and maybe if I get two good finishes, maybe (I can) fight (in the UFC) in September. I'm going to email Joe Silva every time I fight."

As it turns out, his timetable was off by about a half-year. But it's no less a good opportunity for Marshall to reestablish his game against the hard-slugging Cane, who faces a must-win situation in the March 19 bout.

The trouble started more than a year ago for Cane when he proved unready for a big step up in competition against Antonio Rogerio Nogueira and was knocked out inside of two minutes at UFC 106. It took 17 seconds longer, but his next engagement ended the same way when French striker Cyrille Diabate put him out at UFC 114 in May.

The losses erased hype built from a three-fight win streak that included victories over Jason Lambert, Rameau Thierry Sokodjou and Steve Cantwell.

A third straight loss undoubtedly would signal Cane's UFC exit.

The Mac
02-24-2011, 04:13 PM
marshall has some guts stepping in on short notice but i think he is gonna get crushed