PDA

View Full Version : Dave Meltzer says WWE Denies talks with Strikeforce Star

Travicity
03-05-2011, 11:51 PM
Dave Meltzer is featuring an article on Yahoo! Sports noting that WWE officials have denied any talks or negotiations with current Strikeforce Women's Middleweight champion Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos. The article notes that Cyborg has a "champion's clause" in her contract with Strikeforce where a champion cannot leave a promotion while still holding a title. Strikeforce instituted this new clause when then Strikeforce Middleweight champion Jake Shields left to sign a deal with UFC.

WV

Swinny
03-06-2011, 06:05 AM
I was gonna say, Jake Shields just left while he was champion. But a good clause to have for Strikeforce, not as much for some of the fighters, like Cyborg, because if she, or anyone else, decides they need to move on, they can't do so and they may have to turn down a once in a lifetime opportunity because of that. Because what other choice do they have? You either wait for your contract to end, or lose your title, and if you're dominating a division like she is, it's not likely that she'll be losing the title any time soon.

The Mac
03-06-2011, 09:42 PM
I was gonna say, Jake Shields just left while he was champion. But a good clause to have for Strikeforce, not as much for some of the fighters, like Cyborg, because if she, or anyone else, decides they need to move on, they can't do so and they may have to turn down a once in a lifetime opportunity because of that. Because what other choice do they have? You either wait for your contract to end, or lose your title, and if you're dominating a division like she is, it's not likely that she'll be losing the title any time soon.

i dont think he had a clause...and plus he was stripped of the title