PDA

View Full Version : Bischoff: "Definitely need to drop number of PPV's"

Travicity
03-06-2011, 10:50 PM
When responding to fan questions on his official Facebook page, TNA Wrestling's Eric Bischoff discussed the current number of pro wrestling Pay Per View events.

"Definitely need to drop the number of PPV's. The business isn't hot enough to sustain the current number and doing them hurts the long term viability of the category. Worked in the 90s. Not now. Just my personal opinion. It will take balls and vision to change the model."

WV

The Mac
03-06-2011, 11:07 PM
he wants to do it cuz tnz aint making enough money off them....wwe seems to be doing fine with the current ppv model

mikedudelang
03-07-2011, 04:59 AM
he wants to do it cuz tnz aint making enough money off them....wwe seems to be doing fine with the current ppv model

Probably true. That said, considering half of the WWE's PPV's are flat out awful, they should considering scaling back a little as well if for no other reason, lack of quality.

Smartmark
03-07-2011, 06:49 AM
Dropping any TNA PPV's would be a bad thing

danniboi
03-07-2011, 10:10 AM
Yeah dropping it would just make them look like the smaller promotion. They just need better marketing

Kenpachi Zaraki
03-07-2011, 10:25 AM

WWE aren't making as much as they should and they lost money on PPV last year

Yeah dropping it would just make them look like the smaller promotion. They just need better marketing

They are the smaller promotion. They do barely 20k buys staying with them for ego issues will kill them

Swinny
03-07-2011, 06:51 PM
Yeah, exactly. When compared to WWE they ARE the smaller promotion.

DUKE NUKEM
03-07-2011, 07:15 PM
wrestling ppv's are not as good as they use to be, i dont think it would hurt if tna drops a few of them

Vick Diesel
03-07-2011, 07:33 PM
wrestling ppv's are not as good as they use to be, i dont think it would hurt if tna drops a few of them

I agree Kyle, WWE's PPV's aren't as good as they could be, and neither are TNA's both companies need better marketing, and more time to build feuds b/w PPV's, and stop rushing everything. IMO

mikedudelang
03-08-2011, 12:29 AM
I don't get why so many people seem to be hung up on TNA appearing smaller than WWE. Fact is, they are and by a very large margin. Were Vince of a mind to do so, he could call Dixie and buy TNA from her in about 10 minutes.

TNA doesn't need to sit around worrying what the WWE is doing with their PPVs, storylines, characters, whatever. TNA needs to do what is best for the continued growth of their own company. If scaling back PPVs will save them some money without sacrificing fans (which I don't think it will) why shouldn't they at least consider it?

In the end, I doubt TNA will drop any PPVs but it could easily be argued that fewer PPVs allow for better, more well-rounded storylines. With a PPV every month, too many storylines are almost forced to be wrapped up over a 4-week period of time rather then allowing them to run a more natural course. I think that's one of the great things about the way PPVs were back in the day. I mean, WCW was gonna give you Starrcade and the Great American Bash, + a few tv specials throughout the year, that's it. That allowed guys like Flair, Rhodes, The Midnight Express, etc. to really WORK a storyline, really push it before the big blow off match at the major PPV. Now, rather than the days where Rhodes would chase Flair for 6 months, getting his ass kicked the whole way before finally getting his title shot, your Heavyweight Champ is putting the belt on the line every other week on tv. To me, it makes the title mean less which also seems to make the PPVs less important. I know times have changed and there's no way anyone would ever consider going back to this way but I know I enjoyed the longer, more involved storylines.

wwe9112
03-08-2011, 02:24 AM
Well eventually someone will take control of one of the big two and scale back the pay-per-views and let wrestling reinvent itself. That, or wrestling probably is going to die and be like boxing.